Processing costs in your area?

1.35 for the deed, de-feathered and eviscerated. I think .35 for vac-pac. 1/4rd for .35. Boneless breasts for another .35 Ice etc... is included.

Amish/Menonite farm near Troy Oh.

Quote:
I freeze my own ice in milk jugs, 2L bottles etc. I estimated i used between 1.5+- lbs per chicken. (remember a gallon of ice is like 8lbs of ice, 2L ~4.5lbs) I told my customers to bring ice in there coolers (loose ice not blue freezy things) i used mostly customer ice to pack birds in there coolers, but i used another few pounds per cooler to pack birds to send home with customers.

Quote:
I have an ice machine so I use about 5-6 5 gallon buckets full and another 5-6 if I'm taking them to market. If you really serious about getting into raising meat for re-sale it's a good investment. Look at on-line auctions they do not go more than 300-500 bucks.

$0. None of the processors around here will do birds. I have a friend that raises chickens and turkeys and she helped me with our 4-H chickens last year (6) and is going to help me in a few weeks with this larger batch(16).

My area they charge $2.50 to process and bag. If you want it tagged and weighed add $0.15.

Turkeys don't know as I plan on doing them myself. All birds after my first batch will be done myself as I will have a plucker by fall.

Back
Top Bottom