Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

They cook them down and grind it all up and freeze it, including the bones. The frozen meat by product is used as treats for the animals.

Great idea by the way.
Ooooh, I can't imagine the smell. I'm having a tough time with the smell when we butcher / pluck / clean. The last day we butchered, it was 100 degrees.

We attempted to use the feet last year and this year but found them to be too dirty. It took me 11 hours to clean and peel 15 feet last year and I just couldn't dedicate the time this year to 29 birds. Luckily we have good friends from Taiwan who are experts and we gave them the feet for their use. We were happy that the feet were put to good use. We use the livers, gizzards, hearts and necks. What do you use the rest of the insides for?
Wow, 11 hours! I would have given up and handed the feet over to my dogs.

I usually just give the feet a quick scrub with a brush, then put them in the scalding water. Any lingering dirt comes off when I peel them.

I noticed that the Red Rangers I raised this year were hard to peel. The skin held tight to the layer underneath, and I wound up peeling them to the bone in several places because I just could not get the skin loose. It wasn't because they were older, because the DP cockerels I did last year were about 16 - 18 weeks, and their feet peeled easily. I am not impressed with Red Rangers overall. A couple had wiry black hair feathers that I did not think would burn off, so I had to skin them, and then the feet being hard to peel.

I would have given up as well....the CX feet are so easy to peel compared to older, DP birds..it kinda spoils ya.

If wanting to raise DP roosters with good sized feet and legs for stock with a wonderful feed conversion, try plain ol' White Rock roosters. They put on wonderful, dense meat with good breast and thigh development but are not hungry hippos at the feeder. They are a beautiful white bird with clean feathering and large yellow legs and feet.

Ooooh, I can't imagine the smell. I'm having a tough time with the smell when we butcher / pluck / clean. The last day we butchered, it was 100 degrees.

I've never cooked chicken feet, but my husband LOVES them for Dim Sum (Chinese brunch). I can't imagine they would smell--they are just bones, sinew and skin. No different than making soup.

I'm still putting off getting rid of these cockerels that are starting to be troublesome.

They are 3.5 month old bantam Cochins and Silkies, so they are quite small.

Will I need something special to get the lungs out of a very small bird?

I'm still putting off getting rid of these cockerels that are starting to be troublesome.

They are 3.5 month old bantam Cochins and Silkies, so they are quite small.

Will I need something special to get the lungs out of a very small bird?
you would eat a silkie? I don't know if I can get past the color! lol

I am able to remove the lungs with my fingers- just sweep along the rib cage towards the backbone. However I have hands that fit in a narrow mouth quart jar; don't know about yours.

Back
Top Bottom