Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I said months ago that I would post after I processed my first bird. I didn't because I just couldn't. So I'll post now.

I did it on Mothers Day 2013. I chose to do it inside, because of the heat and flies outside. First I shared a beer with him, then I realized how hard you have to cut to get through the feathers, I guess the knife wasn't sharp enough or I just don't know what... I held him over the bucket, he was smallish, I didn't need a cone. It was over pretty quick. I had the water ready to go, and thought I followed instructions perfectly, but I had trouble with plucking (it took way too long) those darn wing and tail feathers were awful. The evisceration was tough (I had only gut fish in my day and it's not the same) I opened the cavity, became totally overwhelmed, and my husband finished the rest. I had planned on doing 2 birds that day, but only did one because it took too long and I was upset by the end. I was so sad for a long time, felt like I failed him and myself. I kept thinking what I could/should have done differently. But Months later, looking back, I don't think he suffered.

He sat in the freezer for 3 months before I finally got the nerve to cook him. I did put him in the brine Sally Sunshine mentions way back in the thread. I used the crock pot, he was very good. Very Very good. The taste alone made me feel a little better about the whole thing. Like it was worth it I guess. I would love to raise my own food, I just don't want to do the kill and clean part. I think I'll look for a butcher in my area if I decide to go that route again. Or I won't go that route again, I'm not sure. Right after, I was miserable. Looking back, it could have been worse.

Since then, I've re-homed 3 roosters. I went right back to my old ways. I'm sure if I hadn't been raised with a complete disconnect of where my food came from things would be different. So, I think you all are wonderful and amazing, and I think those of you sharing the experience with your kids are doing the world a great service! Thank you all for the info posted here!
hugs.gif
I just processed my first birds so I understand how you feel. I wish it wasn't so hard.

The first bird I processed, I only ate a few bites but worked really hard not to taste it or even acknowledge I was eating a bird I knew when he was alive.

I'm sorry it was such a distressing event. I do understand.

If wish I could find someone else to kill the birds, but I can't and believe me I've tried. Oh, I could find a neighbor who would kill them in ways I find unacceptable so that's not an option. The cleaning never bothered me, but I loved dissecting animals in biology class.

Still, it really bothers me and I wonder if I can do it again. I have three left to process. My son forced the reprieve of the really ugly bantam frizzle cochin with no redeeming qualities except he is really so ugly he is adorable. He's really little, how much can he eat? He'll stay.

Beekissed-- good luck! I think it's fascinating how your dog senses and worries about your birds.

For those who were talking about involving kids-- at what age did you start and how involved were they?
Thanks!

I'll be killing my favorite bird tomorrow. She's just too old and heavy and it's starting to affect her, so tomorrow is supposed to be very cool. I placed my killing cone this evening and the dog started giving me dirty looks.
roll.png
He used to love getting his share of bird but in the past few years he has become distressed when I kill birds, whimpers and paces, gives me the stink eye, mopes around all day and basically just lets me know I have offended his sensibilities.

Tomorrow will be my the hardest cull I've ever done...me and this ol' gal have been together for some years now and I admire her over all others I have ever had.
sad.png
I'm sorry, Beekissed. I wish I could give you a real hug. I'll be thinking of you today.
hugs.gif

The most important aspect of this was to have the boys involved in "harvesting" their own food. My wife thought I would "scar the poor boys". To which I responded that I had helped my grandmother do this same thing at the age of 6. And children back in "the old days" did this as normal routine. I think it is healthy for kids to know where their food comes from. They should also be taught that life is precious and not to be wasted. Every animal that gives up its life for our nourishment should be used to the fullest extent so as not to dishonor the creator and the life offered.
There are a few differences between how today's kids view animals and how they did in the "old days." Don't underestimate the psychological pain caused by witnessing slaughter.

There has been a fundamental shift away by science and society from not even thinking animals were sentient beings to anthropomorphism to the extreme. (Anthropomorphism is when you give animals human qualities and traits.) In the "old days," the children would have been exposed to slaughter of chickens since they were babies. That's not the same as exposing a child suddenly to slaughter and death, and it gets really upsetting if it is of a pet. Death is kept far away from our society, hidden away in hospitals. Before antibiotics were discovered in the last century not so long ago, a simple scratch or cut could kill you.

Please, just don't underestimate what is going on in your kids' minds.

I am not sure if it is a blessing or a curse but I have no trouble detaching myself from the animal to be harvested. It may be only because from the very beginning I view them as a food source and not a pet. I am sure it would be different if they started as pets and then things changed. That is one thing I told my youngest son from the first day we got our CX. "They are food. Do not name them unless it is Nugget, Parmesan or Cordon Bleau." Once they become pets everything changes.

I am with you 100%. I explained this fact to my 5 year old when we got the cute little balls of fluff and he knelt down and said "when you get bigger we gonna eat you". It is important to prepare yourself from the beginning. I love my birds but know that they I will have to kill them so that I can feed my family. When I put it that way it's like, how can you NOT do it. I am proud that we can provide so well for our family! So here we go.....

Bee, thinking about you today
hugs.gif
, hoping for a peacful heart for you knowing you are doing right by your bird, and a quick end for her, after her long and productive life she is at peace.

Beekissed-- good luck! I think it's fascinating how your dog senses and worries about your birds.

For those who were talking about involving kids-- at what age did you start and how involved were they?
Thanks!

My kids were started on seeing dead animals, watching them gutted and then processed for food as soon as they could walk on their own. Then they started hunting as soon as they could pull back a bow and get good accuracy(around 7-8 yrs old) and have been bow hunting ever since. They have killed all my bigger livestock for me(heifer and lamb) and helped in processing those as well. They've also killed nuisance dogs for me and any injured wildlife we find that needs mercy.

Well...Big Bertha got a reprieve today, folks!
smile.png
Last night I penned her into a nest box and prayed as I walked away for the Lord to show me if I should really be culling this bird, as it was weighing on my heart more than culling normally does~WAY more. I told the Lord if she is still there in the morning I will take it as a sign that she was to be killed, if not, no killing.

Now, for the life of me I don't know how she got out of that nest box as the wire was really securely done across the front of it...but who should come strolling down the yard this morning when I went out to do the deed? She had somehow pushed the wire loose and got out of an impossibly small opening with her big ol' body~no WAY I thought she could ever get that wire loose. Bertha gets to live and I'll let God decide when she is ready for culling. Normally I truss a bird's legs the night before, but Bertha's legs are so big and she's so calm, that I didn't think it would be comfortable or necessary to truss her as well as pen her...and it's those little decisions we make in life that really turn the tide on many issues. God wants Bertha to carry on and so that is good enough for me and I'll have faith that He will let me know when it's her time to go.

Back
Top Bottom