Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Pics
DH is paranoid to grill, I like stuff crispy and even a tad burnt!

but then again I love burnt popcorn!! can ya just smell that comment or what! he he he

hahaha, lol, haven't we all been there at one time or another!
hu.gif

Quote: Sorry for the off topic post.

My Grandmother on my Mom's side burnt everything. Cakes, cookies...even fried eggs...

One summer we were working on my Grandfathers Prune orchard and had Dinner with them. The Mashed potatoes were very tasty and we wanted the secret. She would not tell us. My Mom wanted to find out the secret too and finally my Grandmother admitted that she had burnt them holding dinner for us!

I do love burnt things, like burnt toast from Home made bread....
droolin.gif

This might be happening this afternoon Sally. I need to get my hands on a filet knife or a sharpener.

What about using new razor blades? Only 3 chickens so 1 per bird for the neck slicing. Anxiety is increasing.
I only make a small cut right below the base of the beak along one side ( I don't want to cut through the throat). It's just enough to cut the jugular and I usually do batches of 10 to 15 at a time and I haven't had to sharpen my knife at all until it comes time for eviscerating. If you have a even a decently sharp paring knife you can finish the edge by sliding it along the rough cut side of a real leather belt. It's amazing how sharp you can get a knife by finishing it on leather. I test all mine on it's ability to shave hair.

Plus, finishing a knife on a leather strap makes you feel like a cowboy!!
yesss.gif

This may be obvious but, If you do use a razor blade make sure it's in a holder of some sort (box cutter or utility knife). A little bit of blood on your hand and things get very slippery.

Quote: Sorry for the off topic post.

My Grandmother on my Mom's side burnt everything. Cakes, cookies...even fried eggs...

One summer we were working on my Grandfathers Prune orchard and had Dinner with them. The Mashed potatoes were very tasty and we wanted the secret. She would not tell us. My Mom wanted to find out the secret too and finally my Grandmother admitted that she had burnt them holding dinner for us!

I do love burnt things, like burnt toast from Home made bread....
droolin.gif

Ha! she tried to warn you all! ha!!!!

Here's my advice. Firstly, be sure you want to do this. Sounds like most of us in this thread either have, or plan to, butcher chickens. Don't let us pressure you into something you don't want to do.

However, if you really want to do this, set aside a whole half day to process just one bird. Just one. Do that one, force yourself to get through it, and then stop for the day. Don't try to do another one that day. Make sure you take care of yourself afterwards. Have a sympathetic friend you can call. Eat something non-chicken, or even non-meat.

Once you've done it and have some perspective, you'll know if you can do the rest. And if you can't, you can probably pay someone else to process them.

I don't kill mine, either. My husband kills them, I pluck them, he guts them, and I part them out the way I want to. But I don't like doing it, and we're going to pay someone else to do it this year. There's no shame in saying that something's just not for you, especially after you've tried it. Trying it just once gives you more experience than 99% of Americans. But if it makes you sick--then just don't do it. We'll all still talk to you! <hugs>

Erika
I agree with the previous post.
I am trying to look at it from the "circle of life" point of view.
We (DH and I) are given the opportunity to feed ourselves with something that we know has been well cared for and blessed. We feel honored that our birds provide us with joy along the way.
We are their servants for a period of time. In turn, they serve and sustain us with their gift of eggs and eventually meat.

Will I be able when the time comes? I hope. But, I'm finding the more time I study and process this part of the "circle", the more confidence and perspective I gain.
(There will probably be no way of getting around the big lump I'll have in my throat, and a few tears and nausea at first. But, if possible, I want to be the one with them at that time.)

It's just like it was when we decided to raise chickens. I had to learn so much, and still am, all the aspects involved. (Food, water, heat, cold, worming, illness, injuries, predators and the list goes on and on, as you know.)

That's how we become so attached, kinda the same type of efforts it takes in raising kids, being married. . . . .any type of relationship that takes a committment and time on both parts.

I'm hoping I will be able to look at it as I do our garden, a time to sow the seed, reap the harvest, prepare the bounty (canning, freezing, etc) for our well being. Our chickens will become a precious and heart felt gift of thankfulness that really isn't there with store bought chickens.

My DH can't eat beef, pork, deer due to gout. Sooo, chicken, turkey and seafood are our options. I can't help but think it will help us stay healthy, but, again there is the committment between us and our birds.

Wishing us all the best of luck and confidence in which ever route we take. Either way, it's still a tough go!
Take care knowing at this point, we are all in this journey together!
highfive.gif

Last edited:
We also prefer a filet knife. We have a large number of them due to our fishing habits, so we always have one sharp and ready to go... and another tip is to have a sharpening tool available when you are butchering numerous birds. Their skin can be tough, but the real culprit is the feathers. They dull a knife in a big hurry. If you aren't good at sharpening your own then have a spare ready to swap out when the first one dulls.
I am thankful that DH is willing to do the deed, but I did the last one because I wanted to make sure I had the experience and I prefer it be equal opportunity since he is as attached to the birds as I am. It was difficult, but I knew the practicality of having the experience so if it ever needs done in a hurry (such as to euthanize and injured bird) I can do it quickly and efficiently myself to prevent the bird from suffering. I would rather be traumatized myself than knowingly not do something when it may cause one of my animals pain in the future.... did that even make sense??
Having done it though, I think I will be able to do it next time we need to butcher without it feeling like such a major hurdle. My biggest concern was failing to be able to do it quickly or finding the right cut. Now that I've done it, that fear has diminished considerably. Now my practical side can take over and let me do what needs done.
Looks great! And I totally agree with your statement I highlighted in red! To me, every bird we raise and butcher ourselves is one less bird being raised in a commercial farm.
Congratulations! Now, if you don't mind, send some of that courage, confidence and peace on over to the rest of us! haha
smile.png

Quote button not working, but I wanted to comment on the dish soap in the scald water thing. I was a volunteer firefighter for many years, and because we have very few hydrants in our rural city, we had to carry all of our water to grass/forest fires via tanker trucks. We then carried 10 gallon packs on our backs into the fires to put them out. We always put dish soap in the tankers (it's called "wet water" in the fire industry) because it makes the water soak into organic materials very quickly. Same with chicken feathers, it would seem. Less time in the scalding pot = less chance of over-scalding.

Quote button not working, but I wanted to comment on the dish soap in the scald water thing. I was a volunteer firefighter for many years, and because we have very few hydrants in our rural city, we had to carry all of our water to grass/forest fires via tanker trucks. We then carried 10 gallon packs on our backs into the fires to put them out. We always put dish soap in the tankers (it's called "wet water" in the fire industry) because it makes the water soak into organic materials very quickly. Same with chicken feathers, it would seem. Less time in the scalding pot = less chance of over-scalding.
. Cool info thank u!

Back
Top Bottom