Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Pics
So I am starting the stove again to get the pot up to 150 degrees again for bird no 2 after a much needed stress break....
DH and the kids are preparing bird no 2, I hear the oldest say "Dad its only dripping it needs to run out" I was like WHAT!!!
He says to me "RELAX" (if you know me well enough you know I HATE when I am told to relax!) so I ignore them and continue to watch temps on the pot and add some more water, all of a sudden I hear, "ohhhhh" and I see kids scattering everywhere and then I see a rooster edited so as to not offend.

Last edited:
One down three to go....

NOTE: make sure killing cone is correct size, take time to cut neck correctly. Learn how to upload pics from cell. Be prepared for kids wanting to help, harmony gutted after I loosened it all up. Luke cut feet off, plucking takes no time at all.

Question.....
tiny hairs like human. How to rid them?
Congratulations!!!! I'm gone for a day, and you did it while I was gone!

We burn the hairs off with a propane torch. Quickly! Don't linger!

Sally Sunshine, we all are seriously toasting you right now, and we are all so proud! Those of us who have not experienced this yet have been eagerly following your journey. Thank you for sharing it all! CHEERS TO SALLY SUNSHINE! Now go take a hot bath, have another drink, and rest knowing that you will feed your family with meat that was raised humanely, and followed the circle of life.

Sally Sunshine, we all are seriously toasting you right now, and we are all so proud! Those of us who have not experienced this yet have been eagerly following your journey. Thank you for sharing it all! CHEERS TO SALLY SUNSHINE! Now go take a hot bath, have another drink, and rest knowing that you will feed your family with meat that was raised humanely, and followed the circle of life.

Let me tell you it is as I said, I was fit to be tied and the most miserable person setting up this morning!

MINDSET was right on.... "I DO NOT LIKE THIS ONE BIT! IT Sucks I am miserable but its something I need to do" END!

DH is making sausage sammys , LOL no chicken tonight! (btw I drink maybe ONCE a year, today called for it!)

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing all of this, Sally! I can't wait for your processing webpage to go up with step by step instructions.
smile.png

I will work on it next week, Everyone's info who helped made it go fairly smooth. Its really not a big deal plucking if you have the temps right and stuff, DH even said, why waste the money on a plucker. I think if we had more than say 10 birds it would be nice to have, otherwise, No mechanical plucker needed at all.

To Sally Sunshine....I do not want to belittle your beliefs or trivialize your heartfelt feelings but maybe YOU SHOULD NOT BE DOING THIS PERIOD rather than trying to find a way to feel better about it!.....Sometimes it is just easier to have never seen the animal we eat....This means you are a Good and Kind Person and in no way a weakling...

To Sally Sunshine....I do not want to belittle your beliefs or trivialize your heartfelt feelings but maybe YOU SHOULD NOT BE DOING THIS PERIOD rather than trying to find a way to feel better about it!.....Sometimes it is just easier to have never seen the animal we eat....This means you are a Good and Kind Person and in no way a weakling...
You haven't at all.

I do believe its important that we NOT forget where our food comes from, it leaves us open to commercial industries that are only trying to make a buck and not feed our children healthy foods.

I am glad I overcame and have learned so much. Its something everyone should not forget and learn to respect the food they eat. In less than 100 years our society has changed so much, some for the good and some for the bad. Its up to each of us to make a difference in our own children's lives and not place false images (not sure that's the right words) in front of them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom