Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Pics
I can't really help for target weight... This batch of CX broilers growing out right now, I plan on piecing most of them out (into leg quarters, wings and breast halves) so I will process them a little smalle , maybe 5-6# live weight. I'd like about four large roasters, too, so will leave them until about 12 weeks for some big whole processed birds for special dinners.

I am with Wax on this one... the weight you shoot for is pretty much based on how they are going to be used when doing it for family purposes. If I was looking to sell them as whole birds then I would go for the 4 or 5 lb dressed out range, so they look and feel nice and substantial when packaged. So that would probably need to be in the 7 to 8 lb live range?
For holiday or family get together roasters then holding them till they dress out in the 8-10 lb range works. If you are doing cut up birds for general cooking and stir fry and such then dressing out in the 3 or 4 lb range is good and that meat will be the most tender also.

For culling extra roos rather than raising meaties... there is no good way to aim for a certain weight really, their ideal butcher time would be based on the breed of bird. Some mature quicker than others. So base butcher time on a couple of things. If you know they are extra, and only going to the pot, then watch their growth rate, when it suddenly or noticeably slows (many breeds between 14 and 20 wks) then you can figure to butcher soon after. They may put on some more weight, but their feed to growth ratio will change and every extra ounce is at the expense of a lot more feed.
If you are going for soup birds or stock pot birds then you can let them go longer because the meat will flavor more as they get older. But it is also a bit tougher so once again, you are back to basing the butcher time on the cooking plans for the bird.
The other thing to base butchering time on with the non meaties is simply personality or breeding purposes. Let the roo live and range until you decide if he has the right personality for the flock or the freezer and go from there. Some also cull based on physical traits needed for breeding, if they don't measure up for breeding stock then they are culled and you have to just cook it based on what age it is when the decision is made.
About the only way to get many breeds to a really large size and still be an easy meal to cook would be to have the males caponized when younger. It allows them to put on a lot more weight and really mature bone wise without the hormones toughening the meat. They also tend to be less active so their is less muscle causing stringy meat.

Last edited:
Why, Miss Sally Sunshine!! I am sooooo PROUD of you, I could just shpit!!
hugs.gif

There is definitely a big change from page 1 to this page!
Boy, have I missed a lot through out the last 2 weeks!!
Haven't read a lot of this thread yet, but will, as I am going to have to process at some point.
hugs.gif

Why, Miss Sally Sunshine!! I am sooooo PROUD of you, I could just shpit!!
hugs.gif

There is definitely a big change from page 1 to this page!
Boy, have I missed a lot through out the last 2 weeks!!
Haven't read a lot of this thread yet, but will, as I am going to have to process at some point.
hugs.gif
and I will be right here for you when you need to take that step.... then later on we an compare meatie breastesses!! ha ha ha

Caught up. Missed lots of great funny stuff. I have yet to do the deed. Was going to last tuesday but thunderstorms halted me in my tracks. Now I need to find a day before the kids are out of school. Just easier to handle if I am not having to answer a million why questions.

I wish you were closer I need to do these OE's now! we could work together!

no kidding. I have been debating on whether my Dec. roos were ready but one decided to take a chunk out of my little girls arm the other day. so they are ready and are in their bachelor pens awaiting the day. I think he was just being curious since she was down on the ground digging in the dirt but he was on the Chopping block anyway. He just moved up the time table. They still feel rather boney...yes I felt my roos up.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom