Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Now that its been a few days since we butchered our old hens I am wanting to make some chicken soup today. BUT, I forgot to ask you all a question. (Pardon the silly questions but even though I have kept chickens a long time this is my first time sending any to the soup pot)

So when we were butchering I did the smallest hen(better for smaller hands) and was doing the back end. As I cut through the skin, suddenly, what looked like water came pouring out! Eekkk!!! My husband told me to hurry up and finish it! And at the same time my sweet little chattering girl stated the obvious, "Mom, you evidently punctured something!"
th.gif
Ya, no kidding. So I told Ms. Chatty, state the obvious, to go get a container to put this bird up separately. I am thinking I read somewhere that they can have like a pocket of just fluid in the chest cavity. I didn't have any other birds that had it so that's why I thought that was what it was. I'm thinking its fine to put in the soup pot, but just wanted to double check with others that butcher regularly.

Thanks!!!

Now that its been a few days since we butchered our old hens I am wanting to make some chicken soup today. BUT, I forgot to ask you all a question. (Pardon the silly questions but even though I have kept chickens a long time this is my first time sending any to the soup pot)

So when we were butchering I did the smallest hen(better for smaller hands) and was doing the back end. As I cut through the skin, suddenly, what looked like water came pouring out! Eekkk!!! My husband told me to hurry up and finish it! And at the same time my sweet little chattering girl stated the obvious, "Mom, you evidently punctured something!"
th.gif
Ya, no kidding. So I told Ms. Chatty, state the obvious, to go get a container to put this bird up separately. I am thinking I read somewhere that they can have like a pocket of just fluid in the chest cavity. I didn't have any other birds that had it so that's why I thought that was what it was. I'm thinking its fine to put in the soup pot, but just wanted to double check with others that butcher regulWarly.

Thanks!!!
When you say the back end, you mean the abdominal cavity, right? Assuming that was the case, and the fluid was clear, and perhaps yellow tinged, then that is ascites. You see it quite often with the Cornish Rock meaties because they are susceptible to congestive heart failure. Since this was an old hen, then she could develop congestive heart failure, just like an old person. Ascites is sterile fluid inside the abdominal cavity.....but OUTSIDE of the intestines and other organs. If you had hit something(intestines) any fluid would not have been clear.

So it is safe to put in the pot. Even if it was fluid from the intestine, good cleaning, rinsing, etc would still make it safe for the pot. Any bacteria present would be killed in the cooking process anyway.

So, the long and short of it......make soup and enjoy it.

Last edited:
When you say the back end, you mean the abdominal cavity, right? Assuming that was the case, and the fluid was clear, and perhaps yellow tinged, then that is ascites. You see it quite often with the Cornish Rock meaties because they are susceptible to congestive heart failure. Since this was an old hen, then she could develop congestive heart failure, just like an old person. Ascites is sterile fluid inside the abdominal cavity.....but OUTSIDE of the intestines and other organs. If you had hit something(intestines) any fluid would not have been clear.

So it is safe to put in the pot. Even if it was fluid from the intestine, good cleaning, rinsing, etc would still make it safe for the pot. Any bacteria present would be killed in the process anyway.

So, the long and short of it......make soup and enjoy it.
Yep.... we have processed a number of them with fluid in the body cavity and they are fine to eat. We just rinsed them out and then treated them like the others and we have never had trouble from it.
It is shocking the first time you encounter it though.

th.gif
Ya, no kidding. So I told Ms. Chatty, state the obvious, to go get a container to put this bird up separately. I am thinking I read somewhere that they can have like a pocket of just fluid in the chest cavity. I didn't have any other birds that had it so that's why I thought that was what it was. I'm thinking its fine to put in the soup pot, but just wanted to double check with others that butcher regularly.

Thanks!!!
All is fine!

If it was green and from the Gall Bladder, then it would have ruined the chicken. You would have smelled something terrible though...

Get to making that soup! It is 9 here and nearly time for the ten o'clock break....

That's what I was hoping! I didn't remember what it was called. Ya, it was in the cavity, but not in the intestine and was pretty clear. And it didn't smell either......I got close and took a big whiff ;) Thanks!!

Oh, so THAT's what the clear water was. I found it in some of my chickens but since it was clear and odorless I didn't stress about it. I did break one gall bladder when I was trying to get it separated from the liver. Had to trash that liver.

Back
Top Bottom