Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

That article holds no surprises for me....I've been on this forum for 5 years and have watched the urban movement towards chickens with much dismay. This society, with their "I want it! Give it to me now!" attitude brooks no arguments about the welfare of the animal. They think that love means letting every animal live, live, live even when the quality of that life is a misery, and showering it with food of all kinds, expensive coops, cute clothing and claims of "humane" treatment being the equivalent of "compassion".

Spoiled children with a new toy...soon to be an old toy. I never heard the term "attrition" until I came to this site. It seems to be the definition of doing nothing wise or prudent for the welfare of the flock of chickens at all.... and then letting predators, pet dogs, and illness plague the flock until they are dead and you can apply "chicken math" to get more new toys. All the while acting shocked when someone mentions killing them for mercy reasons or for food, with self-righteous claims of "I could NEVER do that!!", as if that was a badge of honor~to claim you could never give your chicken a more merciful and humane death than "dying naturally", which translates into the aforementioned "attrition".

IME, attrition is a word used by those who want a euphemism for "poor husbandry" and "no compassion for my flock..only for ME". I have people like that in my own family...who have begged me to sell them some of my livestock. There is no amount of money they could offer that would induce me to let them have one of my own good animals...not those that are near and dear to me. I'd rather give them to someone who has their heart screwed on right than someone who thinks "attrition" is the way to thin out a flock.

pop.gif

Last edited:
This is a great thread, for which I am thankful. I think it's wonderful that the readers of this thread have a place to go to help them get through an act that needs to be done.

Culling is hard, but otherwise you end up with national news stories like this from today's headlines:

Really? I truly fear for our society that is apparently made up of people that don't have enough sense of responsibility to even care for a chicken...

Sorry for the rant as my first post here... I've been lurking for awhile (for learning purposes), and when I ran across this story this morning it just validated (IMO) the actions of the readers of this thread.
Get the *&^^ out! NBC news too?

I dispatched two roosters this morning. As I posted a few pages back, I had my first experience with killing an animal a little over a week ago. Today's processing went a lot quicker and smoother than my first. I used the same method as before...by slicing the jugular. The two I dispatched I did one at a time...wasn't ready for multiples at the same time. They were the last two roos I had to remove from the flock...especially since Brave Boy tried mounting one of my younger pullets last night and about ripped half her back off. This would be why he was the first to go this morning...instead of this weekend like I had planned.

I did do one thing a little different though. Instead of slicing and then stepping back, I actually kept hold of his head and tipped it up to let the blood drain better (and not all over his face). He did NOT flop around as much as my first cockerel last week. The blood was drip drip instead of flowing when he started flopping this time...and it did not last as long as the first one. Because of this, I think I may have cut wrong my first time, but I am not sure. The final roo flopped more, so I might have cut wrong with him too...I just don't know.

It was easier this time. I still felt a little bad, but I had no hesitation whatsoever.

they are both resting in the fridge. :)

Good job!!! I don't think you cut wrong...it just happens differently for each bird. I've been doing this a long time and still can't get it to happen with very little flapping each time...some do and some don't and that's all there is to it.

I hold the neck incision open with the tilt for a bit also...seems to help quicken the flow. Then I let loose when they start moving...

Good job!!! I don't think you cut wrong...it just happens differently for each bird. I've been doing this a long time and still can't get it to happen with very little flapping each time...some do and some don't and that's all there is to it.

I hold the neck incision open with the tilt for a bit also...seems to help quicken the flow. Then I let loose when they start moving...
I didn't let go
hu.gif
Was I supposed to??? I still held onto his head with it tilted up, only when he started flapping I put my other hand on his wing and breast to keep it at a minimum, and so he didn't flap around in circles. It's ironic that he was the least "flapper"...because he was the mellowist of all my roos. He'd let you pick him up, pet him, etc...it's like he didn't care one way or another. Seems like he was the same way when it came time for him to go to chicken Heaven :)

We just processed our 29 meaties (cx) this weekend. I must admit it was easier than last year. We try very hard to be as humane as possible. Here's our arrangements:
Their tractor coop is completely chicken wired - we live in a heavily wooded area with lots of predators, so free range is impossible. We move them to a new spot in the woods, completed shaded, every day. Food 1x a day and water 4x a day.
We lost one to the flips at 7 wks. We saw it happening and processed him minutes after we confirmed he was gone.
We processed the rest at 9wks - 9 wks 2 days.
We hold them to calm them down, hang them by the feet from a high point, holding their head (by covering their eyes) and remove the head with one swipe. There are no misses and no mistakes.
We found that some of the smaller birds damaged their wings with the 'deathflap', so we're going to tie the wings next time.

We felt better about this year because we felt we were doing right by our birds. They had good living arrangements - cool and shady and clean. Plenty of room and water. And the processing was quick and humane.

Our totals: 29 birds. 1300 lbs of feed. Total cost of chicks, feed and supplies $514.00 = $2.57 /lb.

Back
Top Bottom