Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I'm not for or against caponizing. I do not like the idea of them suffering, nor the work involved in doing a large number of them. I also just don't have the time. These are my cons... My pros: Thinking of my roosters I am never going to use for breeding and just for meat, I wouldn't mind having a quieter, less aggressive with the girls boy to grow out. I imagine less fighting as well. More peace in the flock...

I've banded chickens, and I'm not against that. Quick pain - not lasting for them. How would one assess the pain involved in caponizing? Couldn't imagine it being much worse than bumblefoot surgery... I've seen some injuries and very little reaction to pain in the chickens. Maybe it isn't so bad for them?

This is one of those controversial topics that I usually try to avoid. Really I don't have strong feelings either way.
As with most controversial subjects, Some States have laws against caponizing.

Check the laws where you live first.

I have been so impressed by the lack of drama on that thread, I have seen others get horribly aggressive and have to be locked down, I was really worried about that when I first started it.

The other threads you referenced were before I was part of the forum, so I am very glad you stepped out to start that one. It is a very legitimate topic for those who wish to learn of it, as it has virtually been a lost art in this country, and was a common part of animal husbandry prior to the hybridization to produce the commercial meat birds we see today.

The other threads you referenced were before I was part of the forum, so I am very glad you stepped out to start  that one.  It is a very legitimate topic for those who wish to learn of it, as it has virtually been a lost art in this country, and was a common part of animal husbandry prior to the hybridization to produce the commercial meat birds we see today.

"Capon" is listed in the USDA-FSIS category of poultry that they inspect. It is listed right along with young chickens, hens, rabbits, ect. It has lost its popularity I think because we as a country we like everything FAST, as in the 6 week old "young chickens" that we buy in the grocery. When you look at the meat industry practices of today, for example battery caging, I don't see caponizing being outlawed. Now they might want to take it out of the hands of the people because they want to regulate us TO DEATH, but I don't see it happening.

The ability to caponize could greatly benefit our ability to keep the extra roos around till they are of a good butchering weight or when they are needed for processing. As of now, many of our extra roos have been processed before 20 wks due to flock dynamic needs.... they fellas are just too randy and aggressive with the hens and/or each other and even though I would rather they were bigger we couldn't wait. I am not really worried about meat 'quality' because we have been very happy with any of our home raised birds, so that part of it isn't as much of a consideration.
I will have to check out Kassaundra's thread.

As far as the neck skin tensioning.... I found it an absolute to pull the skin taut for the best/quickest cut. As far as method, when the bird is in the cone, I place my hand behind the neck of the bird with the outer edge of the base of my thumb just behind where I plan to cut, and my other fingers just in front of it, then apply pressure and pull it backwards snugly (closest I can equate it to is the grip I use when picking a cat up by the scruff of the neck) This will provide you with skin snug over the cut zone and you with have a bit of a handful of neck skin and feathers.

The ability to caponize could greatly benefit our ability to keep the extra roos around till they are of a good butchering weight or when they are needed for processing. As of now, many of our extra roos have been processed before 20 wks due to flock dynamic needs.... they fellas are just too randy and aggressive with the hens and/or each other and even though I would rather they were bigger we couldn't wait. I am not really worried about meat 'quality' because we have been very happy with any of our home raised birds, so that part of it isn't as much of a consideration.
I will have to check out Kassaundra's thread.

As far as the neck skin tensioning.... I found it an absolute to pull the skin taut for the best/quickest cut. As far as method, when the bird is in the cone, I place my hand behind the neck of the bird with the outer edge of the base of my thumb just behind where I plan to cut, and my other fingers just in front of it, then apply pressure and pull it backwards snugly (closest I can equate it to is the grip I use when picking a cat up by the scruff of the neck) This will provide you with skin snug over the cut zone and you with have a bit of a handful of neck skin and feathers.

I have 12 that are almost 22 weeks old that are growing out together along with 18 that are also growing out together., and they are so quiet and peaceful, even at feeding time....and no crowing in the bunch. I am looking forward to continuing to grow them out, and hoping to get a nice plump bird for the table without having to buy meat chicks.

while on vacation I went to little farm auction. All kinds of chicken stuff. A nice cabinet incubator. Big chicken plucker. Processing cones. I knew I was in trouble when the amish kept looking at everything I was looking at. The bought the chicken plucker for $200 and they don't even have electricity. :confused: I didn't stay the whole time as people were spending way too much and the amish don't back down. Went back later to help my grandfather pick up the stuff he bought and the auction people wheel in a killing station and are talking about how no one bought it. I started talking about and they ended up giving it to me. Anyway I could only take the metal cone home as they pack a little better. So I am now the proud owner of metal cones. Now I just need to use them...

If they have electricity they are not Amish they are Mennonites

Back
Top Bottom