Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Same source as far as I know.. the feed store told me that they were from a local hatchery. I am really surprised by the difference in body type. This second batch is more active, and less feisty with feed. Their tails are also higher and their legs not as thick.
Silly question, but since CX are by definition a cross couldn't the overall outcome vary with each chick, even if they're all from the same parents? Sorry I'm still a bit rusty on genetics...

Silly question, but since CX are by definition a cross couldn't the overall outcome vary with each chick, even if they're all from the same parents? Sorry I'm still a bit rusty on genetics...
Not really.. I would think they should all be very similar depending on source. At least these two batches are quite similar with one another, but completely different by season.

My Oldest daughter cooked one of the Pita Pinta cockerels that I processed a couple of weeks ago.

The Cockerels look like this:

Processed at 16 weeks:

She baked them in the oven as a whole body, so Broiler style. It is very tasty and tender. The Wing, drumstick and thigh have a lot of meat too. The skin was good as well. The Bresse skin was not a hit but my daughter really liked the Pita Pinta skin.

I am always amazed when I see a processed cockerel- they never seem that small/skinny under all those feathers. I guess I'm still new to chickens. They look tasty though!

Last edited:
They are a specific cross, the parent breeds bred controlled for many generations, so not much irregularity as crosses that are "mutts"

Hi all, so I got all of my birds processed this weekend. 24 meaties and 4 DP birds. The meaties were large enough that they barely fit into the shrink wrap bags. From 24 meaties I finished with just over 142 pounds of whole chicken. It is great to have the freezer full for the winter. Looking forward to spring and a new run of chicks. I forgot to add that these birds were 9 weeks old exactly and were fed FF.

Last edited:
What are the breed of your "meaties"?
Most Meaties are a Cornish Cross. They are not a breed but a 3 or four breed cross. Most of the commercial crosses are a secret but there us usually Cornish and some type of Rock involved in the crosses.

Back
Top Bottom