Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Wow those are huge! I had to show your pic to DH, he asked what you feed them. I told him FF.

Processing day is actually tomorrow here. I was not confident in my skill/ability, so I scheduled with my local Butcher (who is a super nice fellow) Anyway, I went out to the pen to get my 4 Drakelets loaded up into the crate for tomorrow's trip... That did not go well at all. My flock was all panicky and freaking out, one got trampled and when I finally got him into the crate his wing was injured. I feel just horrible. I really wanted the whole experience to not be stressful. I thanked my birds. I am really concerned that stress like that will cause yucky tasting meat. :(

I moved all of my birds at night after they had bedded down. It seemed to work out pretty good since they are in a half awake stupor while being moved. I parked my chicken tractor right next to where I did my processing which was super convenient. The actual job of processing can be kind of daunting if you haven't done it ever or in a long time. It had been years since I had done any processing so I watched some YT videos to freshen up before processing my first batch. Even still it is nice to have a friend who is more experienced to help if possible just as moral support. I am looking forward to next year now and planning to increase the size of my run since I have ahd so many people ask to buy meat after tasting my birds. Good Luck tomorrow.

Quote:
sorry if this quote messes up, I am having issues with BYC page and posting : ( I am wondering if hatcheries always get eggs from the same distributors or if they raise and hatch their own? Also do you think spring is the best time to go for the meaties raising? thanks

Quote:
sorry if this quote messes up, I am having issues with BYC page and posting : ( I am wondering if hatcheries always get eggs from the same distributors or if they raise and hatch their own? Also do you think spring is the best time to go for the meaties raising? thanks
I think different hatcheries handle the egg supply differently, some questioning would be needed at your hatchery of choice to find out if they breed 'in house' or outsource to local breeders.

For most of us 'back yarders' the biggest decision for when has to be based on our available area for housing and processing needs. If you have a large space that can be cooled through the summer or kept warm in the winter then you can raise them about any time. But most of us don't, so we have to work around what is healthiest for the birds and most practical for us.

Early spring means keeping the chicks inside for at least a couple of weeks under heat lamps, then moving them out to more regular housing for the rest of the time, processing in a backyard setting means taking into account how you are going to keep the birds cool while they are being processed and also fly/bug control. In Pennsylvania, processing through early May isn't a problem, but gets more problematic in June, July and August for sure.

Fall birds can be timed to allow the chicks to need very little inside care, though they certainly still need a draft free area with a steady heat source the first couple of weeks. Butchering can be done when the weather cools, but temps may not be dependably cool till late October, and unseasonal warm weather may still cause you some problems, though not too extreme.

I think many folks do the spring birds just because they are more readily available at local feed mills and outlets and also so they have much of the 'messy' smells and such while the weather is cool and they aren't as likely to be affected (I don't think I'd want to have a backyard picnic in late August anywhere near a flock of meaties!!):sick

Some folks don't want to care for meat flocks through the summer when other activities are so common, having a neighbor check for eggs when you take a few days vacation is one thing for an average egg flock, asking them to deal with a flock of meaties may not be as easy. But if you have the space and time, fall meaties aren't a bad choice. Just be ready to adjust butchering times to allow for the occasional early fall snowstorm or late fall heat wave.

Quote:

sorry if this quote messes up, I am having issues with BYC page and posting : (

I am wondering if hatcheries always get eggs from the same distributors or if they raise and hatch their own?

Also do you think spring is the best time to go for the meaties raising? thanks
I would think the large hatcheries must raise and hatch their own. When to raise them is a personal choice and depends on where you plan to raise them, ie free range or in a 4 season coop.

I think many folks do the spring birds just because they are more readily available at local feed mills and outlets and also so they have much of the 'messy' smells and such while the weather is cool and they aren't as likely to be affected (I don't think I'd want to have a backyard picnic in late August anywhere near a flock of meaties!!)
sickbyc.gif
I think you are right about spring birds and the local co-op/feed store. I know our co-op is cheaper than the mail order chicks and they are alive and healthy, no getting sick or dead chicks and having to call the hatchery to get more or get money back.

Quote:

sorry if this quote messes up, I am having issues with BYC page and posting : (

I am wondering if hatcheries always get eggs from the same distributors or if they raise and hatch their own?

Also do you think spring is the best time to go for the meaties raising? thanks
I think the best time to raise them is really dependant on your weather. I would say starting them in May here would be ideal. That way you can get them outside earlier.

Quote:
When would you suggest to start them here with us in PA? would they grow slower in spring and take longer than the 8 weeks or so? I want to make sure I plan this good.

Back
Top Bottom