Processing Egg Shells for Feeding as a calcium source

Wow, maybe I am lazy but I just boil the eggs and and run them and any extra shells I have lying around in the food processor.

My Granny would roll over in her grave and bust out laughing if she read some of these things. When I die, i want to come back as a chicken owned by some of you.
wink.png

Quote:
I can see the logic in this, but don't know how much of an issue it might be. Doesn't chicken feed already have a certain amount of calcium in it anyway? Feeding back chicken shells will help supplement their calcium intake. But if you still notice signs of calcium deficiency you could then go buy a bag of oyster shell, or give them some dairy.

I usually throw eggshells in with the compost, but if I'm making some dish using lots of eggs at once, I'll dry & crumble the shells to give to the chickens. I'll also do this if I notice thin-shelled eggs are being collected from the nests. And sometimes I'll scramble eggs with their shells in the blender & cook for the chickens to eat.

I don't mind the little bit of extra work, and am willing to do it on the remote chance that some chicken might otherwise be inspired to eat eggs from the nests. I also want to avoid having any leftover raw egg residue spoil in the hot Fla sun, and/or attract more vermin.

But as you see, it might not be necessary to take those extra steps.

This has been a most informative discussion!

I'm new to chickens and was worried about causing egg eaters and am thankful I need not worry any longer.

For crushing with a rolling pin you might try the sturdy bags that come in your cereal box. I use them to crush up graham crackers for pie crust.

My other thought was, what did chicken owners use for calcium 100 yrs ago? Especially, those who did not live close to the sea shore? I would guess they gave the egg shells back to the chickens and it was a very good source of calcium and easy for the chicken's bodies to process back into another egg. Just a thought.

I've taken to just putting the eggs in with the scrap bowl they get every monring. The current economic situation dictates always go cheapest and easiest (whenever it's not adverse to chicken health.)

Just for the record, my chickens free range, and have free choice granite grit + oyster shell. I feed them a layer mash that is strictly ground up grains (local ones at that- selling point apparently)

Thanks for all the great input.

Quote:
Doesn't chicken feed already have a certain amount of calcium in it anyway? Feeding back chicken shells will help supplement their calcium intake. But if you still notice signs of calcium deficiency you could then go buy a bag of oyster shell, or give them some dairy.

Well, both brands of layer pellets I have purchased have said to give additional sources of calcium, so I give them oyster shells, and of course rock grit for their gizzards. We had pretty much only been feeding the egg shells to the worm farm for the greenhouse, but now I am definitely going to add some to the chickens bowl. It was such a pain in the neck to bake them before giving them, that I gave up entirely on giving them to the chickens, and there were so many warnings that I have read about giving them to the chickens without baking them that I was afraid I would make egg eater's out of my chickens. So now I feel pretty confident that I won't need to worry about this, and will just crush them and use them as a supplement to the oyster shells. So glad this thread was introduced!!!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Doesn't chicken feed already have a certain amount of calcium in it anyway? Feeding back chicken shells will help supplement their calcium intake. But if you still notice signs of calcium deficiency you could then go buy a bag of oyster shell, or give them some dairy.

Well, both brands of layer pellets I have purchased have said to give additional sources of calcium, so I give them oyster shells, and of course rock grit for their gizzards. We had pretty much only been feeding the egg shells to the worm farm for the greenhouse, but now I am definitely going to add some to the chickens bowl. It was such a pain in the neck to bake them before giving them, that I gave up entirely on giving them to the chickens, and there were so many warnings that I have read about giving them to the chickens without baking them that I was afraid I would make egg eater's out of my chickens. So now I feel pretty confident that I won't need to worry about this, and will just crush them and use them as a supplement to the oyster shells. So glad this thread was introduced!!!
celebrate.gif

If you have a food processor I dont' see any reason (now) that you couldn't just throw the egg shells in there and give it a spin. Takes no time and all and no time to wash the blade and bowl when done. I am going to have to try NOT baking mine and see if they like it as much. THey definately like the baked shells...they go crazy for them.

Like many others, I just throw shells into a bowl on the counter to dry.

Once the bowl is full, I crush them up and mix with their feed.

I see no reason to bake, microwave, souffle, dice, bronze, or otherwise process the shells.
smile.png

100 years ago the chickens got their calcium from eating insects and whatever else they picked up free ranging..

actually you do not have to supplement calcium unless you have a problem with thin or soft shelled eggs..

a little calcium suplement as a preventative measure is fine, also.

like my buddy Earl used to say, "don't sweat the small stuff.."

Back
Top Bottom