processing tomorrow - what do you do with the "extra" parts?

Smithyard Farm

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Pembroke NH
Hello all -

Processing 12 meaties tomorrow. In all posts I have read, I can not seem to find out what people do with the "leftovers". We plan to have the blood drain into a bucket... then what? are the feathers useful in the compost pile? will the breakdown enough? and what about the innards that are not being used... just throw them away? or are they good for composing or feeding or what... any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Hello all -

Processing 12 meaties tomorrow. In all posts I have read, I can not seem to find out what people do with the "leftovers". We plan to have the blood drain into a bucket... then what? are the feathers useful in the compost pile? will the breakdown enough? and what about the innards that are not being used... just throw them away? or are they good for composing or feeding or what... any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

features take too long to break down

blood depends on what you have going for it

not many people know this but Grapes and pomegranate wont fruit sweet until its fed blood

I also release blood into the soil of my plants when i'm at my holiday home where I have a grape vine 40 feet long

boy are the grapes sweet

other wise wash the blood down the drain or bury it in mud and sand

and innards can be bagged and chucked with domestic waste

Hello all -

thanks!
Good question.

I have composted feathers and they disappear. Maybe I just let it cook long enough.

I don't have other animals to feed - except dogs.
And I don't want to other attract animals to stinky pile. Even if I bury it, the bears, coons, cougars, rodents etc can still smell it.

I'll stay tuned in...

You can actually leave nothing to waste. If you used bedding with your birds, it is compostable, as are the feathers. We catch the blood in a 5 gal bucket with water, when complete, stir, then water the shrubs and trees, or if your lucky enough to grow roses use it on them instead of purchasing blood meal in dry form. Heads, and non edible entrails get layered in the compost pile and covered with the used bedding (we haven't experienced any diggers through the manure bedding). Skinned feet, and necks go into the stock pot. Any excess abdominal fat is cleaned, then rendered for excellent cooking fat, store it chilled in the fridge or freeze (schmaltz), also used if making liver patte'. I'm sure many other things could be done. Good Luck

I kept the livers for us, but all of the rest of the innards were fed to my livestock guardian dogs.The necks are in the freezer, as are the backs. The feet might get made into stock if I can do it (they are creepy looking), If not....they will go in the dehydrator and will become dog treats. The blood was washed away. Feathers and heads are the only things that got wasted.

Got a pond? I've heard you can feed the innards to your fish. No idea what to do with the blood or feathers though. Sorry

Back
Top Bottom