Processing turkeys on the 12th for Thanksgiving.

Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Aledo, TX
I have volunteered to help a local farm process their Thanksgiving turkeys so I can learn how and also to get my own bird done while the knives ad feathers are already flying. They are planning to do it this weekend. I had really hoped to try fresh not frozen turkey this year.

Is 12 days resting in the fridge too long or is a short stay in freezer camp necessary?

That would be a little bit too long for my peace of mind. I'd hate to put so much time and effort into a bird and have it go to waste. I'd freeze it.

X2...I'd freeze it OR just wait until the Sunday prior and do the dead at the house then...it's really not so hard to set up to process for just one
smile.png

Quote:
X2

Plus you will have had some good practice and been able to rest up for a week.
lol.png

Does the farmer plan on freezing them before delivery or will they be delivered fresh to customers for their Thanksgiving dinner?
I am not sure if I want to know how long the grocery store chicken/turkeys have been sitting around before I buy it and take it home.

If I had a means to keep it in a clean, sealed place with the temps just above freezing, thats what I would do. But I don't, so I would do the deed at home the weekend before.

Thank you all. I think they plan to freeze, or at least I hope they do. I dunno, me personally I think I'll wait till next weekend to do mine.

Back
Top Bottom