Processor offers whole bird or chopped up - does that mean no rest time?

kie4

Songster
Jul 21, 2016
Malvern, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,

This is my first batch of "Cornish Rock" as they called them in TSC. I think that's the same thing as Cornish X because they look like pictures of Cornish X.

They are 8 weeks old, nice and big and ready for processing tomorrow.
The processor has 2 options: Whole bird, or for $0.50 more they will chop into pieces. My wife asked me to get them as close to looking like the supermarket as possible. She loves all our egg laying hens but I had to persuade her to let me do a batch of meat birds. She has tried her best to not get to know them, knowing they are destined for the cooking pot.

My question is about resting time. From all the blogs and sites I've read, after killing the chicken it has to rest for 24~48 hours before cutting it up and cooking it.
Will taking the 'chopped up' chickens from the processor mean that the chicken has been chopped up to early and the meat will be tough? Or will the chopping be done before rigor mortis so the meat will stiffen and relax in the cool box?

Thanks for answering my question :)

Cut-ups aren't a problem. Is the processor going to give them back to you cold or frozen? If cold, keep them in the fridge over night before freezing. If frozen, you'll probably still be fine. An 8 week old CX has a way different carcass texture than a 14 week old cockerel.

I process my own and like to let them rest overnight before being packaged and frozen.

I would get them as cut-ups - and if you can, get just one or two as whole birds for roast chicken and stuffing. They will cut them up right after processing, so no, they will not be rested before cutting up - but it does not make a difference when they are cut up. And I would let them rest in the fridge for a day - either before or after freezing. I cut most of mine up because they take up less room in the freezer that way. I also separate white and dark pieces because that is how I use them. And, I save the wings and winglets separate for game day snacking. Are they going to bag and/or freeze them for you too?

I would get them as cut-ups - and if you can, get just one or two as whole birds for roast chicken and stuffing. They will cut them up right after processing, so no, they will not be rested before cutting up - but it does not make a difference when they are cut up. And I would let them rest in the fridge for a day - either before or after freezing. I cut most of mine up because they take up less room in the freezer that way. I also separate white and dark pieces because that is how I use them. And, I save the wings and winglets separate for game day snacking. Are they going to bag and/or freeze them for you too?

They ask that I bring a 1 gallon zip-lock bag per bird and bring coolers for transportation. Thanks for the advice! I have everything ready to go, I'll bring the coolers with some ice and water in them ready to put the ziplock bags into.

Congratulations on your birds. The only thing I would add is that I like to get my birds whole and part them at home because that leaves me the backs for making stock. I let them rest overnight in the fridge before parting and freezing and have never had any problems even with dual purpose roosters and old hens.

Congratulations on your birds. The only thing I would add is that I like to get my birds whole and part them at home because that leaves me the backs for making stock. I let them rest overnight in the fridge before parting and freezing and have never had any problems even with dual purpose roosters and old hens.
Good point. I use necks, backs, wing tips, and feet for stock. Pretty much everything that can be is used.

Back
Top Bottom