Progress of wound, 8 days in

tranquiliti

Crowing
Oct 26, 2021
Colorado, USA
On Oct 20, I emailed the Colorado State University vet school’s exotics group to describe the injury that had occurred the previous day. (Email pasted below in a different font.)

Since I never heard back either by email or phone, I sought information elsewhere—including a remote avian vet who assured me near the end of last week that as long as my bird is able to eat/drink/fly I should be able to let her out with the others.

Over the course of the week I’ve been able to obtain Nutri-Drench (used x1 so far), Blu-Kote, and some other items but nothing has gotten the regular use that Blu-Kote has. Unfortunately, the brief amount of time that all of the birds were together earlier today resulted in a fresh opening to the wound on Bird’s neck, which I addressed by spraying more Blu-Kote and isolating her back in the greenhouse.

Today happened to be when the Baytril 10% I ordered from allbirdproducts.com arrived, and this afternoon I mixed 0.2mL into a quart-size clean jar of tap water for Bird to drink.

I could only stare at her for so long… but in the hour or two since preparing it, I saw Bird take two separate trips to the fount, drinking both times. Hopefully keeping an infection at bay will allow for healing.
————
Hello,
We are caring for four guinea fowl at an age of 16 weeks (purchased Jun 29 as keets from Feeders Supply in Fort Collins). They are accustomed to their humans supplying shelter (locked in coop nightly), daily gamebird meal ration, and comfort while foraging outdoors. The birds do not roam very far, despite >30 acres available to them—preferring to do their foraging under supervision.

As expected for their species, they have not attained the standard definition of domesticated, maintaining a wariness for any direct handling. One suspected cockerel is the
tamest of the four and historically has been the subject of assertive pecking from the other birds; whether this is the result of his willingness to interact with humans is unknown.

However, approximately 24 hours ago on the 19th of October, I released the four birds from their coop after a mild rainstorm passed by. They had been locked inside for about 3 hours due to restlessness as the storm approached: demonstrated by frequenting the front stoop of the house where they observe their reflections in the windows and call to any visible humans inside. No abnormalities were noted, aside from one particular bird that was favoring her right leg, and even inspecting the palmer surface for what may have been a thorn.

It had become late afternoon when I had the chance to envelop the injured bird in my arms so that I could examine her foot—which is when the massive injury to the right dorsal portion of her neck was observed, the source for the wound unknown.

First-aid debridement and pressure to the wound site were performed: there was an active bleed emerging from beneath the inferior right border of the wound. She resisted application of any gauze pads or bandages to her neck, but by nightfall the bleeding had resolved, and a heavy layer of triple-antibiotic ointment was applied to the wound.

The patient was isolated in a greenhouse adjacent to the barn which contains the birds’ coop, where she was able to drink water, a second fount containing an electrolyte mixture titled Hydro-Hen; and her feed supply included Purina Game Bird Flight Conditioner, millet seed, and a small amount of “Ultrakibble for Chicks” which has both molasses and salmon meal.

Due to the below-freezing outdoor temperatures, the birds were not seen until about 9:00am this morning. The patient was perched on a ceiling support beam, in a similar position to where I had left her late last night when she flew there herself. She has a strong survival instinct, and although I am relieved that she made it through the cold night after an injury I am most concerned about wound healing and infection prevention, with a secondary desire to provide pain relief if it will aid her recovery.

I have spent several years in pharmacy school and although resources are plentiful for elucidating optimal medication management for humans, I’m at a loss when it comes to this poor bird.

Should I have tried to humanely end her life last night? Is surgery an option or is open-wound monitoring & treatment under isolation the only choice?

Attachments

• guinea_wound.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 5603671A-B542-4816-8535-60CA5F65C0D3.jpeg
    5603671A-B542-4816-8535-60CA5F65C0D3.jpeg
    988.5 KB · Views: 14
On Oct 20, I emailed the Colorado State University vet school’s exotics group to describe the injury that had occurred the previous day. (Email pasted below in a different font.)

Since I never heard back either by email or phone, I sought information elsewhere—including a remote avian vet who assured me near the end of last week that as long as my bird is able to eat/drink/fly I should be able to let her out with the others.

Over the course of the week I’ve been able to obtain Nutri-Drench (used x1 so far), Blu-Kote, and some other items but nothing has gotten the regular use that Blu-Kote has. Unfortunately, the brief amount of time that all of the birds were together earlier today resulted in a fresh opening to the wound on Bird’s neck, which I addressed by spraying more Blu-Kote and isolating her back in the greenhouse.

Today happened to be when the Baytril 10% I ordered from allbirdproducts.com arrived, and this afternoon I mixed 0.2mL into a quart-size clean jar of tap water for Bird to drink.

I could only stare at her for so long… but in the hour or two since preparing it, I saw Bird take two separate trips to the fount, drinking both times. Hopefully keeping an infection at bay will allow for healing.
————
Hello,
We are caring for four guinea fowl at an age of 16 weeks (purchased Jun 29 as keets from Feeders Supply in Fort Collins). They are accustomed to their humans supplying shelter (locked in coop nightly), daily gamebird meal ration, and comfort while foraging outdoors. The birds do not roam very far, despite >30 acres available to them—preferring to do their foraging under supervision.

As expected for their species, they have not attained the standard definition of domesticated, maintaining a wariness for any direct handling. One suspected cockerel is the
tamest of the four and historically has been the subject of assertive pecking from the other birds; whether this is the result of his willingness to interact with humans is unknown.

However, approximately 24 hours ago on the 19th of October, I released the four birds from their coop after a mild rainstorm passed by. They had been locked inside for about 3 hours due to restlessness as the storm approached: demonstrated by frequenting the front stoop of the house where they observe their reflections in the windows and call to any visible humans inside. No abnormalities were noted, aside from one particular bird that was favoring her right leg, and even inspecting the palmer surface for what may have been a thorn.

It had become late afternoon when I had the chance to envelop the injured bird in my arms so that I could examine her foot—which is when the massive injury to the right dorsal portion of her neck was observed, the source for the wound unknown.

First-aid debridement and pressure to the wound site were performed: there was an active bleed emerging from beneath the inferior right border of the wound. She resisted application of any gauze pads or bandages to her neck, but by nightfall the bleeding had resolved, and a heavy layer of triple-antibiotic ointment was applied to the wound.

The patient was isolated in a greenhouse adjacent to the barn which contains the birds’ coop, where she was able to drink water, a second fount containing an electrolyte mixture titled Hydro-Hen; and her feed supply included Purina Game Bird Flight Conditioner, millet seed, and a small amount of “Ultrakibble for Chicks” which has both molasses and salmon meal.

Due to the below-freezing outdoor temperatures, the birds were not seen until about 9:00am this morning. The patient was perched on a ceiling support beam, in a similar position to where I had left her late last night when she flew there herself. She has a strong survival instinct, and although I am relieved that she made it through the cold night after an injury I am most concerned about wound healing and infection prevention, with a secondary desire to provide pain relief if it will aid her recovery.

I have spent several years in pharmacy school and although resources are plentiful for elucidating optimal medication management for humans, I’m at a loss when it comes to this poor bird.

Should I have tried to humanely end her life last night? Is surgery an option or is open-wound monitoring & treatment under isolation the only choice?
I've seen varying opinion on veterycin. One of mine was hit by a truck -it looked like a pillow exploded. Yet she got up,walked back to the coop. I took her in, clean it up, and put veterycin on it.
I cont to use it following directions. She managed to get out of every dressing I put on her so I gave up, kept her in a dog crate inside. But then I realized that the veterycin had worked like a liquid bandage and sealed the wound. About a week later the "seal" came off, and she had healthy skin beneath.
With your experience in pharmacology you'll know more about it's ingredients than I, I just know the results we had. If I had lifted those tufts of feathers, you would see it her entire back looked like this.
I never gave her anything for pain, she was in shock at first -and depressed..first thing she did when she got back in the coop is hop up on roost and stare at herself in the mirror.
I don't think there's a need to end a life that is fighting so hard to remain? Good luck to you and her. 🤞

20210711_002620.jpg

@tranquiliti - how is your little lady doing?
She’s holding her own!! (Attached photo from Tuesday evening, preceding the tale below.)

I definitely have plenty to re-learn about managing guineas as they grow 😯 but she is her energetic, feisty self! Yesterday morning I was attempting to simply observe her, but that led to all of the birds back together because I didn’t want to prolong the stress of resuming pecking order by separating again.

She did get a fresh bite on her neck that morning, but I caught her and sprayed the fresh wound with Microcyn followed by RoosterBooster Pick-No-More.
This stuff was a miracle for the whole day! But then they all took a dust bath in the garden outside and she needed a new coat of it, which I haven’t been able to apply yet.

Attachments

• 6D10A6A5-636B-4BDA-AC12-E6F9CC75CE2D.jpeg
    6D10A6A5-636B-4BDA-AC12-E6F9CC75CE2D.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 6
She’s holding her own!! (Attached photo from Tuesday evening, preceding the tale below.)

I definitely have plenty to re-learn about managing guineas as they grow 😯 but she is her energetic, feisty self! Yesterday morning I was attempting to simply observe her, but that led to all of the birds back together because I didn’t want to prolong the stress of resuming pecking order by separating again.

She did get a fresh bite on her neck that morning, but I caught her and sprayed the fresh wound with Microcyn followed by RoosterBooster Pick-No-More.
This stuff was a miracle for the whole day! But then they all took a dust bath in the garden outside and she needed a new coat of it, which I haven’t been able to apply yet.
You’re doing a great job of nursing her along!

Back
Top Bottom