Progress!!

jknox1982

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
Muscle Shoals AL
I have had 2 barred rocks for 4 months now and they know who I am only won't let me touch them, they come running to the gate when I head that way to feed them. I have no idea how old they are because I got them from some one who was thinning their flock. I have read on how to make them like me or at least not run from me when I walk into the cope. So I read that when you go into the area to just sit their and much to my surprise Speckles came near me!!!! She walked up to turned her head side ways as to say I like you better at this level. I was so excited. Now Chickie is a work in progress and for her not to run was amazing to me. My game birds stayed away but they didn't run like they normally do.

And today I gave my 2 month old EE a bath and she loved it and now loves me!!

Nothing better then bonding with the girls!!!

baby steps but steps all the same I am super excited
celebrate.gif

Jenn

Great steps! A little at a time. Treats help. Mealworms in your hand, not on the ground, will draw them and will make them see your hand as a good thing. Our birds come running, and they love to be held. It just takes time. Barred Rocks really are loving birds. Give them time. And talk to them. I think it helps.

Great job. Excited for you, too!

I talk to them all the time, my husband thinks I am odd but hey what can I say. Every time I have ever walked back there to feed the girls I say "hey girls" their little heads pop up and they come running. today's treat was broccoli and they were impressed. My EE are in a medium dog cage until they get bigger so I get to talk to them all the time and they know my voice pretty well.

When I was growing up I had all kinds of animals because I always wanted a farm. I grew up the city in CT and when I moved to AL I finally got the start of my little farm. I love my chickens and I want them to be happy, when they are happy I am happy. I visit with them at least twice a day.

Any ideas on cutting down the flies???

While sitting out there I noticed how bad they were. The chickens don't seem to mind but I sure did. I will head to the store tomorrow and pick some up

So again we make progress. This morning while doing my chores I went out to hang out with the hens and all was great the walked around me and I talked to them even sang a little. Then I came in the porch to tend to the chicks and much to my surprise they came to me and let me pet them. I am so excited I almost cried. My littlest came right over to the door of the grate and let me pet her. Its a great day!!! here in chicken town

Back
Top Bottom