Prolapse and constant straining GRAPHIC PHOTOS

Pipik

Hatching
Oct 22, 2023
Hey everyone sorry its gonna be long
One of my young hens (hatched this april) had a bad prolapse three days ago. I dont know if i caught it in time beacuse i havent been at home for three days but when i noticed i immediately sparated her put her in epsom salt bath and consulted my vet who isn’t an avien vet but having chickens herself. She suggested to put sugar on the prolapse and lubricate it to push back inside. I did this for about two hours continiously until the prolapse stayed in as per her advice.
I also noticed that she is quite swollen on the bottom area so the next day (on friday) i got her antibiotics, but she didnt really eat that day so only could give her a part of the medication :( yesterday (saturday) she wasn’t doing any better .. no eating just drinking if we offer it, gave her bath, cleaned her bottom and lubricated it with coconut oil again but i see no improvement yet and also her vent feels dry at an area despota the lubrication :( this morning (sunday) i gave her the bath and lubricate again, also managed to give her the antibiotics but she is constantly straining and doing this awful clucking sound which makes me so sad .. I really want to help her but i dont know what else could I do. I feel somwthing down under her stomach area and also tried to examine from the inside but I cant say for sure its an egg. I might be a soft shelled egg because we had a similar problem with her about a month or two ago when she did almost the same but it wasnt this severe.. there was no continuous straining and no prolapse on that incident just swollen vent area and she got the same medication then, she was also eating more and got better faster, and when we released her to the others thats when she dropped a shelless egg.
Sorry for the photos she is messy at the moment.. she has i think dried poop on her prolapse which i cant really soak off just very little at a time and she has the white urates and some blood coming out when straining. I will attach photos as well please help me ease her pain :(View attachment 3665325

I'm so sorry that she isn't feeling well. It seems that your picture isn't working. Is there any way you could try sending it again?

When you say that you can feel something in her stomach area, do you mean that she feels swollen, or something else?

She certainly could have a soft-shelled egg if she has had a similar issue before. Have you given her any calcium, either this time or the time before?

How is her weight and body condition? How do her comb and face color look?

I'm so sorry that she isn't feeling well. It seems that your picture isn't working. Is there any way you could try sending it again?

When you say that you can feel something in her stomach area, do you mean that she feels swollen, or something else?

She certainly could have a soft-shelled egg if she has had a similar issue before. Have you given her any calcium, either this time or the time before?

How is her weight and body condition? How do her comb and face color look?
Thank you for trying to help.. sadly her state started rapidly getting worse yesterday, she was in a lot of pain and nothing seemed to help so we decided to get her euthanized :(

Sorry for your loss. If a prolapse occurs it may help to give calcium citrate with vitamin D to help muscle contractions. Any prolapse tissue should be kept from drying out with honey or ointment. A prolapse may be pecked and worsened if the hen is not isolated from others. Hopefully, your others will be okay.

Back
Top Bottom