Prolapse cloaca?

trinityfly

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
Trinity County, Northern Calif
Hi all! Last Wednesday we received 10 chicks from My Pet Chicken. All were in great shape and are growing well and fast. However, one little chick has a protruding cloaca and is not flourishing like the others. We have read up on the subject but most of the info is in regards to grown birds. What we have done so far is to keep the chicks behind clean x 2 per day and attempted one time to push the protrusion in. We are using a light antibiotic ointment in the process. This has gone on for the last 5 days. The little bird is surviving but not thriving. At time it seems uncomfortable with its bottom and pecks at it. I guess this chick should be culled.

What do you think?
sad.png

Never saw this. I won't give you info on what to do with the adults, you've probably read all that already. Even a late bloomer can be brought along. My only caution is that you keep the others from pecking at it until you can get this fixed with the advice people are going to give you here.
Good luck

I am wondering how to treat this, myself. One of my newly hatched Gold-Laced Brahmas has this same problem.
th.gif
Any advice???
hide.gif

Not to much advice so far from BYC folks but an update is in order. We have kept the rear end of the little bird clean (using a damp q tip), then used a little neosporin and tried to push the "prolapse" back in. The little chick is looking much better now and the protrusion is now more in than out and much less inflamed. She is not quite as advanced as the other chicks but is beginning to look a lot better (eating, drinking and pecking around). Lots of TLC seems to have helped

I can't belive the lack of response to this from our community's experts. Perhaps they just don't know as we don't. I'm glad you are getting it handled well. Maybe it will grow into it like babies grow into their noses and puppies grow into their paws.
hu.gif

I'll keep watching as I feel very confident and expert breeder or incubator will come on and tell us what this is all about. If they don't, it will be the very first time I saw this great BYC community not help a fellow member or back off from a challenging case. They are, as a whole and individuals, a great group of people.
Denise
Paradise Found

Well, I'm very interested here too! I have a month-old girl with the same problem. We have tried hemorrhoid cream, Blue lotion, honey... nothing seemed to help. She pushes and pushes as if she is constipated, and sometimes it looks like she is. But then, we will see her go poop and it looks normal. I wish I knew what to do. I'd like to hear from trinityfly to see if the little one made it?????

I don't understand the lack of responses either, It seams that this is an common issue.
idunno.gif
Maby you can contact the breeding site where you got your chicks or some other site. Sorry about you guys poor babies,
fl.gif
, hope they get better soon

I had to diligently search for info re chicks; much on adults, just not so much for chicks.

I had a chick with this and per the other threads tried prepH and honey. THe prolapse seemed inflammed and quite large for such a little chick. And the abdomen seemed very large for a small chick.

It did not respond and became listless and was gone in a very short time. That was my experience.

I think if I could have detected it sooner, before it became so swollen perhaps the results could have been different. Hatching my own and therefore no poo sticking to bum, I had stopped looking at the bums. I will always check bums from now on.

Search the old threads and a few other products were recommended like witch hazel.

GL

Back
Top Bottom