Prolapse on first egg??

kirak74

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2017
My 4.5 month old EE had a very rough time this morning laying her first egg. It was sticking out of her duct, with bloody membrane kind of holding it half in/half out, and she walked around like that for a good hour before I could catch her (she is difficult and does not like to be held). I soaked her bum in warm water and she released the egg, but her vent still seems to be sticking out and red. Is this normal for a first egg? None of my other chickens have had any problems. Will the vent go back on its own or so I need to treat for prolapse?

It sounds like she has a prolapse.

Sometimes it will go back in on it's own. Soak her in epsom salts to help reduce swelling, clean it well, apply some hemmoroid cream or honey to the tissue and gently push it back in. If it keeps coming out, then keep the tissue moist with ointment.

Keeping her separate until the prolapse goes in would be a good idea. Other hens can pick at the tissue causing damage.

Offer her some poultry vitamins and see that she is drinking well.

If you haven't done so, offer oyster shell free choice for your girls.

Here's a more detailed treatment outline for prolapse:http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

Back
Top Bottom