Prolapse with soft shell egg presenting

IndigoAngel

Songster
Apr 18, 2021
Extreme NE Indiana
First things first: I was able to remove the egg and the prolapse has gone back in. The title was mostly for attention, however I do have a couple of questions about the hen

My girl, Francine, is a sapphire gem almost 2yo. She has been healthy as far as I can tell, but I suspect she has laid two previous soft shell eggs. When I put the girls to bed last night Francine was in the nesting box. Considering that she was pecking the snot out of my hands as I was gathering eggs, I figured she was going broody. this morning when she was not in the run when I went out, I knew she was still in the box. I got her out, set her by a water dish; she drank water. Then I noticed that she seemed to be dripping something that everyone was greedily snapping up. I snatched her up and checked her over and saw what looked almost like cooked egg white protruding from a slightly prolapsed vent. I had very little time before I had to leave so I got a calcium with D and an amoxicillin in her and secluded her.
When I got back this afternoon (maybe six hours had elapsed) I brought her in and checked her over. The egg was still there but the prolapse was gone. I gloved up and gently tugged on the egg and it came out, full shell but no insides. I gave her another calcium and amox, chopped up a hard boiled egg and threw a strawberry in for a prize. She has pooped a little bit but nothing significant. Sorry that I forgot to get pics of the removed egg.

Now to my questions

1) I am concerned that the egg innards are still in her innards. What are the chances that it was the inside of the egg that was dripping out?

2) How long should I give her for a good poop before I get concerned? Her crop was not very full when I removed the egg so I don't think she had eaten much until the egg and berry.

3) How long should I give her antibiotics as a precaution against infection? Once I turn her loose she is going to be a nightmare to catch.

bonus fact: her name is Francine because she gets frantic whenever a human attempts to put a hand on her. She is one of those that you have to check when she is sleeping.

TIA for any advice!

She may have passed the broken egg before, since the others were pecking at something. They usually scarf up a raw egg in not time. How much amoxicillin are you giving? Dosage is 250 mg twice a day for 7-10 days. I would give her the calcium once a day for a week. She could have a calcium deficiency, something wrong with her shell gland, or salpingitis. The calcium should help if it is a deficiency. You could give the meds just before daylight when she is still on the roost, and again when she is back on the roost at night. Let us know how she gets along.

Thank you!
She ate almost all of her food, drank the water, and had two massive poops overnight so I'm pretty sure the egg is all out. Keeping her on the calcium and antibiotics for 10 days just to be sure she doesn't develop an infection

Back
Top Bottom