Prolapse?

aakoz13

Hatching
May 19, 2023
Hello everyone! I have a batch of chickens hatching. This is on one's behind and I'm not sure what it is. It's not the yolk sack and it doesn't necessarily look like a prolapse but I'm not sure what else it would be as it almost looks like it's covering the vent. The chick doesn't seem bothered by it but it doesn't look good. Any ideas? It's had it for over 6 hours.

Thank you!
IMG_6260.jpg

I can't say that I've ever seen anything quite like this myself either.
Does it appear to be filled with fluid? Intestines?
Is the chick able to potty?

You're correct in that it doesn't look like a hernia. It's likely some kind of defect but it's also possible omphalitis but if it is, it doesn't look like a case that I've seen personally.

Can you get a few more pictures of the chick standing on its own... If it's still alive... I don't imagine this chick is going to live very long.
He made it so far! He acts completely fine, not sick, is eating and drinking. But there is definitely something wrong. The skin is still there but has gone down in size. He has a couple of noticeable lumps inside however and his vent is pushed out some. One lump is more underneath him and is harder. The other one is on the right backside and is larger but softer. He walks a little funny because of the softer one. I also have to clean up his butt often as you can see. Any thoughts?

Chick.png

Back
Top Bottom