Prolapsed Vent and Egg Laying

Rivka05

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
San Jose, CA
I have an old girl I took in knowing she would not be producing regularly, intended to make her my first experience at culling my flock. She is so sweet and friendly that I learned that I will not be able to cull my own hens when the time comes.

The issue I have is she has laid in spurts, about three eggs in a week and nothing for 4 to 6 weeks. The eggs are X-Jumbo my little kitchen egg scale only goes to 71 grams and they bottom it out. These eggs had rough shells at first and were not egg-shaped. I attributed the shell condition to age and poor diet before she came to me. She has been with me since December eating Purina's layer crumbles, fruits & veggies from my kitchen, oyster available at all times (I noticed that the young girls I have raised since day-old chicks are not interested in the oyster but she loves it) this month eggs had a much better quality shell; very little rough spots, nice med brown color and with the exception of one that broke in the nest appropriate thickness of the shell. This last egg she laid on Thursday was the biggest she has produced and was nearly oval in shape, with a perfect shell.
Later in the day, I heard the girls causing a fuss and found the old girl (Marge) in the nest with a prolapsed vent. After a bath and cleaning, I was able to put the slight protrusion back. She spent two nights away from the flock and is now seeming just fine.

My questions are will her body try to make more eggs? Can I do any more to help her heal and not lay again? I'm afraid if she does it will happen again. Any information you can share will be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, this was our first chicken emergency. I was proud of my husband and me at how we handled it without freaking out. Well letting a chicken live in the house for two days may not have been how most people would do it...

I don’t have an answer for you other than I’ve read about hormonal implants in some cases and know nothing more to give helpful information.

Why I’m here, is to say you are a great person and so is the hubs and you’re doing exactly what we’d have done, giving the old gal a few days in the house to recover under your watchful eye.
Carry on. You’re a fine chicken mom!

Hope you get an answer soon.

She probably will lay again, and the prolapse can come back out. You might want to place her in a darkened cage for 16 out of every 24 hours to stop her from laying temporarily. This can take a few days, and may last 1-2 weeks when she stops.

Honey or hydrocortisone cream are used to keep the vent moist and keep it from drying out, and you need to keep pushing it back inside when it pops out when she passes droppings or eggs. Post pictures of her vent if possible. Daily warm soaks in Epsom salts or soapy water can help to keep the vent clean and help in healing. Here is some reading:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Thank you for the information and encouragement. Marge is doing well. In the two days in the house, I kept hydrocortisone cream applied and had no repeat proportions. It was not a very large prolapse compared to the photos I found. Today she laid her first egg since the incident, it was extra jumbo in size which has been her pattern since I have had her. I checked her vent end it looks normal. I will be watching her closely to ensure we do not have another issue.

I have to say I was a little shocked to find it as I was out in the yard feeding and watering the chickens and plants and she never made a peep while she was laying. My young girls are more vocal when laying, anything from a little clucking to outright yelling about it.

Back
Top Bottom