Prolapsed Vent?

ChrissyDee

Hatching
Oct 10, 2023
I discovered one of my chickens had a large obtrusion coming out of her vent.

Based on the research I have done it appears it could be a prolapsed vent, however, none of the photos I have seen shows it to this degree so I am unsure.
She was fine yesterday, and had nothing protruding. There is no blood and no red tissue.

She doesn’t appear to be in any pain, and she is still pooping and eating and drinking.
I have her separated from the flock, and I’m keeping her comfortable.

Any suggestions on what this is and how to help her would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• 71867545108__5EBFE4E6-6874-46D6-ABE3-2F77342AC777.jpeg
    71867545108__5EBFE4E6-6874-46D6-ABE3-2F77342AC777.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 71
Is that a lash egg she’s trying to expel? Is the matter still hanging from her vent? I’d give her some extra calcium to try to get her to pass the matter if she hasn’t already. I would also try to gently pull as she pushes letting her do the work. Once the matter is gone from the vent you can then address the prolapse if it stays out.

Welcome to BYC!

That doesn't look like a prolapse, it looks like she's trying to expel something. Not sure what it is. As @Bkaye mentioned, getting some calcium into her will help her expel that material.
In my opinion, I would leave it alone for now and see if she expels it soon.
Could you feel it and tell what it is?
Once she expels it, examine it and take pictures before tossing it out.

**Update**
After giving her an epsom salt bath and wriggling the item, I left her overnight and she passed it herself.
I am still not sure what she passed (photo below).
Thank you for your help trying to diagnose the issue. Nice having a community to help without chicken woes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 34
**Update**
After giving her an epsom salt bath and wriggling the item, I left her overnight and she passed it herself.
I am still not sure what she passed (photo below).
Thank you for your help trying to diagnose the issue. Nice having a community to help without chicken woes.
Look like a lash egg. Which sadly means she has salpingitis, and there's not really anything you can do to treat it.

Back
Top Bottom