Proper response to trembling gander

telandra2

Songster
Apr 29, 2021
Spokane, WA
Another newbie goose owner question. My first spring.

I am outside in the unseasonably warm weather reading a book. The gander walks a good distance to approach, calling a few times and bringing his ladies with him. His head is very high and when he gets close he does some bowing, and when he gets in touching distance I can see he is trembling. Since he isn't biting or charging (in Spring!) I assume this is all good behavior. (The girls also get almost to touching distance but are more interested in clothing and shoes.)

So what is the correct response/reward? I'm afraid petting his neck or back will trigger mating feelings and petting his chest would be felt as an agressive chest bump. Geese don't preen each other so is petting weird, or OK since he has been petted and held by the previous caretaker(s).

When I talk to geese, I talk to them like I would a baby goose, and do a calming "Wheee? Like a question and vibrating the eee part. They like that... also you can make you hand/arm like a neck, and bob it up and down saying "goose,goose, goose." quietly. (sounds like guozz-guozz-guozz.) that is how adult geese talk lovingly to each other.
Don't honk back at them, they will get louder and more aggressive. And no hissing.

Back
Top Bottom