Pros and Cons for using sand

I read that sand box sand in cleaned and filtered with glass...In that article it sand try to avoid using it and only use construction grade sand for coop and run...Or any where your chicks take their sand baths... Have you heard anything or read anything similar?

How do I dry this sand!!!

Time. When I added the sand to my coop and run it also seemed like it would NEVER dry. I put my chooks in even though it was wet and they didn't have any troubles with the humidity. I have a LOT of ventilation/crossbreeze so I knew that would wick the moist air away quickly. After about four to five weeks, the coop finally dried. You want to know the truly humorous thing? I actually miss that lightly-moist sand now. It can get sooooo dry and dusty in the coop that I actually HAVE to lightly spray water in the coop weekly just to keep dust to a minimum.

Chickens, through the natural course of chickening, will turn over the sand and help to dry it as they dig/bathe/scratch/flap their wings. As long as you have great ventilation in your coop, a secure run of adequate size or better yet, access to pasture for your chooks, you'll do fine adding your chooks to sand that isn't completely dry. Soon you'll likely discover for yourself that weekly spritzing of the coop sand will be in order.

Time.  When I added the sand to my coop and run it also seemed like it would NEVER dry.  I put my chooks in even though it was wet and they didn't have any troubles with the humidity.  I have a LOT of ventilation/crossbreeze so I knew that would wick the moist air away quickly.  After about four to five weeks, the coop finally dried.  You want to know the truly humorous thing?  I actually miss that lightly-moist sand now.  It can get sooooo dry and dusty in the coop that I actually HAVE to lightly spray water in the coop weekly just to keep dust to a minimum.  

Chickens, through the natural course of chickening, will turn over the sand and help to dry it as they dig/bathe/scratch/flap their wings.  As long as you have great ventilation in your coop, a secure run of adequate size or better yet, access to pasture for your chooks, you'll do fine adding your chooks to sand that isn't completely dry.  Soon you'll likely discover for yourself that weekly spritzing of the coop sand will be in order.
Time.  When I added the sand to my coop and run it also seemed like it would NEVER dry.  I put my chooks in even though it was wet and they didn't have any troubles with the humidity.  I have a LOT of ventilation/crossbreeze so I knew that would wick the moist air away quickly.  After about four to five weeks, the coop finally dried.  You want to know the truly humorous thing?  I actually miss that lightly-moist sand now.  It can get sooooo dry and dusty in the coop that I actually HAVE to lightly spray water in the coop weekly just to keep dust to a minimum.  

Chickens, through the natural course of chickening, will turn over the sand and help to dry it as they dig/bathe/scratch/flap their wings.  As long as you have great ventilation in your coop, a secure run of adequate size or better yet, access to pasture for your chooks, you'll do fine adding your chooks to sand that isn't completely dry.  Soon you'll likely discover for yourself that weekly spritzing of the coop sand will be in order.

You have made me feel so much better.. Seriously. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Now I feel a little anxious.. It's really time to make the jump, eh? My little babies all grown up going to the big coop..

I think I have good ventilation.. Two windows across from each other on each end of the coop.. What do you mean by wick the moist air away? Should I add a box fan?

Your call really on the box fan. With the sand being wet, the moisture needs to get outside the coop as it evaporates. If your coop is well ventilated, the moisture will be dealt with as a function of that ventilation. If a box fan lets you sleep a bit better at night, then go for it!
big_smile.png

W
Thank for your comments.  PDZ is a drying agent that prevents ammonia build up.  About the same texture as sand.   It was once mainly used in horse stalls I believe, but has become quite useful if promoting "dryness" in chicken coops.  It works really well when combined with sand.  It can also be scattered on straw or hay bedding to control moisture build up.  I get mine at Tractor Supply stores.  About $12.00 for a twenty-pound or so (I'm estimating) bag.  Lasts a really long time.  Since I only have six or so hens usually, I buy a bag every six or eight months and scatter it over the sand in the coop.  The  chickens scratching mixes it in really well.  A good product.  I recommend it.

Where do you buy PDZ? Tractor supply? I use sand, dirt, hay and wood chip mixed together but finding with the humidity of late I have to clean off top layer and relay hay and wood chips. 10x10 coop so it's a big one with 14 chickens.

We are using all purpose sand that we got at a landscaping place. We only use it in the run. We are using pine shavings in the coop and doing the deep litter method. The chicks have only been in the coop/run two days. Should I be concerned about this sand that we are using? I am kind of worried after reading this thread. The sand is coarse and there are many tiny pebbles in it.

W
Where do you buy PDZ? Tractor supply? I use sand, dirt, hay and wood chip mixed together but finding with the humidity of late I have to clean off top layer and relay hay and wood chips. 10x10 coop so it's a big one with 14 chickens.

you can get zeolite...which is pdz at tractor supply however if your looking for something like this product...go to a feed store and ask you get a much better deal and alot more...

as for the sand i know what you are going thru with the wet sand...as long as its not super wet they should be good...i put some in a brooder that was the same as your describing....and it worked out....just keep moving the sand around so it can dry out fully...otherwise the top will dry and the bottom with take forever to dry...just got another 12 yards of sand delivered....man i love this stuff...lol

I live in Connecticut too, Karen. You can read all about what makes sand a winning bedding option in all climates on my blog. You can Google "the chicken chick and "sand" and "surviving winter with chickens" and "sweet pdz" to read all the answers to your questions. I can't share the links here, but if you PM me, I can give them to you.

I would LOVE the link to your blog!

Back
Top Bottom