Pros/Cons of protruding nest boxes

Ddawn echoes my feelings on this subject, and I built our coop big enough to have inside nests because of the constant rain here and possible leakage.

It just seemed like one more design feature that would be more trouble than it's worth, since I like going inside to collect the eggs every afternoon and check on things anyway.

I think that you could go either way -- not all that much of a difference.

For a small coop plan, the outside boxes definitely help increase the floor space. Not an issue for bigger coops, though. Some people like the way they look (I fall into this category).

Outside boxes could take a little more framing effort, plus the need to consider roofing/weatherproofing. You generally need a sloping roof on indoor boxes as well, though, if you want to keep your birds from roosting/crapping on top of them -- so probably not that big difference overall between the two options, construction-wise.

Go with whichever style you like best.

I assumed most folks who designed the exterior nest boxes did so for easy access to the eggs, and possibly to save space inside the coop...??? Even in small coops though, wall mounting the nest boxes (elevated about 18 inches) takes nothing away from floor space. I like mine on the inside. Collecting eggs gives me another opportunity to look over the inside of the coop to make sure everything is in order...
My bantam coop was designed for 3-4 birds, and my nest box takes nothing away from floor space...
37862_june_24_019.jpg

ETA: Plus for folks in cold winter areas, each winter I read of more frozen eggs in the exterior boxes...

Last edited:
Sorry for coming back to this so late & THANKS for ALL the replies!!

My coop's going to be pretty roomy to begin with & the nests were going to be elevated from the floor in the original plan, so it looks like most of the reason for these protruding boxes is to add floorspace to smaller coops, I think I'll go ahead & stick with our plan for inside nests. I kinda liked the idea of going in the coop to collect anyway, as I make a point to do a few times a day as it is, just to visualize everything & make sure all's well.

I really appreciate all the fast feedback to my question, you guys rock!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom