protein for different types of chickens

Desertguardian

Chirping
Feb 15, 2023
I have 2 baby silkies and 4 steel eggers coming in a few weeks. I heard silkies need more protein then the others. I wonder how to manage this issue since they will all be eating together. Also I hear different opinions about protein levels for adult silkies vs. steel eggers. So far I bought a smaller bag of 22% protein medicated starter feed (because I don't want to continue medicated for too long.) and then I have 18% grower feed. Do you think that will be fine for both types? Then later I can add protein snacks if silkies need more protein, and lower protein if eggers need less. Someone told me the steel eggers might need 16% and that 18% might be too high. Looking for some advice.......

I have 2 baby silkies and 4 steel eggers coming in a few weeks. I heard silkies need more protein then the others. I wonder how to manage this issue since they will all be eating together. Also I hear different opinions about protein levels for adult silkies vs. steel eggers. So far I bought a smaller bag of 22% protein medicated starter feed (because I don't want to continue medicated for too long.) and then I have 18% grower feed. Do you think that will be fine for both types? Then later I can add protein snacks if silkies need more protein, and lower protein if eggers need less. Someone told me the steel eggers might need 16% and that 18% might be too high. Looking for some advice.......
Can you get Purina flock raiser in your area? It's 20%. Kalbach also makes a 20% all flock (with good reviews) I just can't remember the full name for it. In any case, the 18% will most likely be acceptable for both.

I can't say on the steel egger lower protein part.

I won’t feed below 20% protein to mine. It seems to be the magic number for my flock and my needs. They do considerably better on it compared to the lower protein options. The only breeds that should need protein adjustments are meat hybrids that are prone to growing too fast too quickly and gorging themselves.

I also wanted to add that Steele Eggers are just like any other egger except that they are specifically bred to be blue and splash in color instead of a rainbow mix of colors. Same breeds go into the mix, but only certain color parents are used for Steele Eggers.

Someone told me the steel eggers might need 16% and that 18% might be too high.
Bad info.. 16% protein is the bare minimum for ANY breed.

Going above 30% would be too much. Anything 22% or under should be good.

Also, please note that many so called high protein snack folks suggest are higher than that in fat.
The only breeds that should need protein adjustments are meat hybrids that are prone to growing too fast too quickly and gorging themselves.
Even then, I contend that protein is replaced by carbs that have the same caloric count.. Restriction by lighting or other forms may be more effective at controlling growth than restricting just protein.

Noting while some gamebird (dog, cat, and other pet) feeds have calorie count listed on the bag.. chicken feeds somehow do not.

I heard silkies need more protein then the others.
I haven't heard that. Do you have a link or some way I can read that in context. It often helps to read these types of statements in context to get an idea of where they are coming from.

Also I hear different opinions about protein levels for adult silkies vs. steel eggers.
I assume the Steele Eggers are the ones from Meyer Hatchery. Since the recent popularity trend of chicken keeping various hatcheries have come out with sexy "special" chickens to take advantage of that trend. These may be crosses hat have been selectively bred to enhance certain characteristics or they may just be hybrid crosses, generally of hatchery quality chicken. From what I can tell, Steele Eggers are simply hybrids.

It's hard to tell what the parent breeds are. With the white skin you'd think they are partly Ameraucana for the blue egg gene but with top knots, muffs, and tufts (at least on some of them) you'd think there might be Auracana or maybe Legbar mixed in but they have yellow skin. There is no telling what else they might be mixed with.

From their size (hens 5 pounds) you'd think their parents are not all that big which ties in with Ameaucana, Araucana, and Legbar. But their egg production of 3 to 5 eggs per week implies that they are not crossed with the commercial egg laying hybrid. I don't suggest feeding a high protein content feed to the commercial egg laying hybrids as that can cause medical issues.

I don't know what that mix is but I don't see any red flags to stay away from either lower protein feeds or high protein feeds.

So far I bought a smaller bag of 22% protein medicated starter feed (because I don't want to continue medicated for too long.) and then I have 18% grower feed. Do you think that will be fine for both types?
I do, but as you notice different people have different opinions on how they should be fed.

Then later I can add protein snacks if silkies need more protein, and lower protein if eggers need less. Someone told me the steel eggers might need 16% and that 18% might be too high. Looking for some advice.......
My suggestion is to contact Meyer and see what they say.

I haven't heard that. Do you have a link or some way I can read that in context. It often helps to read these types of statements in context to get an idea of where they are coming from.

I assume the Steele Eggers are the ones from Meyer Hatchery. Since the recent popularity trend of chicken keeping various hatcheries have come out with sexy "special" chickens to take advantage of that trend. These may be crosses hat have been selectively bred to enhance certain characteristics or they may just be hybrid crosses, generally of hatchery quality chicken. From what I can tell, Steele Eggers are simply hybrids.

It's hard to tell what the parent breeds are. With the white skin you'd think they are partly Ameraucana for the blue egg gene but with top knots, muffs, and tufts (at least on some of them) you'd think there might be Auracana or maybe Legbar mixed in but they have yellow skin. There is no telling what else they might be mixed with.

From their size (hens 5 pounds) you'd think their parents are not all that big which ties in with Ameaucana, Araucana, and Legbar. But their egg production of 3 to 5 eggs per week implies that they are not crossed with the commercial egg laying hybrid. I don't suggest feeding a high protein content feed to the commercial egg laying hybrids as that can cause medical issues.

I don't know what that mix is but I don't see any red flags to stay away from either lower protein feeds or high protein feeds.

I do, but as you notice different people have different opinions on how they should be fed.

My suggestion is to contact Meyer and see what they say.
My friend raises silkie and she's the one that insists they need high protein... yet no where else do I see this information. Also, about steel eggers, called Meyer Hatchery and they said that 18% "should be fine", lol. Wrote to the person who designed them and she said they eat like any other chicken (lol, big help) no specifics given. Well I guess I'll try the 18% for both (with higher just as a starter feed) and see how they do. Everyone has a different opinion, so I guess this is an experiment in a way.....

I raise silkies too and have done my share of research but never heard of Silkies needing high protein, but more so to ensure they get their vitamins and nutrients by feeding a layer feed and then supplementing. I.E. Black oil sunflower seeds are high in Selenium and Vit. E, and protein, so ours get tons by free-ranging under the wild bird feeders and I sprinkle Rooster Booster granules in their feed about once a week. Also, we grow a garden with lots of stuff like kale for them.

If you're worried about protein lacking, get some meal worms or bsf (black soldier flies) as they are 50% protein and another source of calcium too. A handful tossed out to them in a day, and boom, up goes their daily protein intake!

Back
Top Bottom