At one week, it's unusual that there is a constipation issue since the chick couldn't have been eating for more than a couple days. But if there was pasting over of the vent, that could have clogged her. Simple cleaning of the vent should have been enough to clear her, and an 'enema' should never be necessary with any chicken as their plumbing isn't like a human's.

When constipation in a young chick is suspected, the best practice is to give the chick coconut oil orally so as to soften any impacted stool to then be able to more easily expel it.

At one week, it's unusual that there is a constipation issue since the chick couldn't have been eating for more than a couple days. But if there was pasting over of the vent, that could have clogged her. Simple cleaning of the vent should have been enough to clear her, and an 'enema' should never be necessary with any chicken as their plumbing isn't like a human's.

When constipation in a young chick is suspected, the best practice is to give the chick coconut oil orally so as to soften any impacted stool to then be able to more easily expel it.
She never had any poop outside of her vent but I'm going to get coconut oil now. How should it be given to her?

Divide about half a teaspoon of coocnut oil into tiny bite size morsels. Then chill this until hard. It's easy to pry open the tiny beak and slip the pieces of oil in one at a time, giving the chick time to swallow each piece. You can repeat this in an hour if there has been no results.

Divide about half a teaspoon of coocnut oil into tiny bite size morsels. Then chill this until hard. It's easy to pry open the tiny beak and slip the pieces of oil in one at a time, giving the chick time to swallow each piece. You can repeat this in an hour if there has been no results.
Okqy thank you Should I continue to soak and apply cream in the meantime?

Corisone cream, yes, as long as the vent is swollen, to reduce pain and swelling. But watch the vent for clogging and gently, without rubbing delicate tissue, clean any poop from the orifice if it starts to accumulate.

Corisone cream, yes, as long as the vent is swollen, to reduce pain and swelling. But watch the vent for clogging and gently, without rubbing delicate tissue, clean any poop from the orifice if it starts to accumulate.
No luck with the coconut oil and she now looks much worse. Her crop is flat as well

Attachments

• Snapchat-817599800.jpg
    Snapchat-817599800.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Snapchat-1583542033.jpg
    Snapchat-1583542033.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 13
The poop leaking out when she tries to poop is new aswell and I've been cleaning to make sure it doesn't build up

The poop leaking out when she tries to poop is new aswell and I've been cleaning to make sure it doesn't build up
The leaking might stem from the enema. Please, dry her up with a paper towel and using a hair dryer, but be careful not to burn the delicate tissue.

No luck with the coconut oil and she now looks much worse. Her crop is flat as well
I started using honey in my girls vent, her swelling has gone down and the redness is far less. She's far from better but it's easier for her.
She couldn't pass her poop today she has managed too pass significant amount

I've used coconut oil because my Agatha is having the same problems but after a while I use yogurt as well

Back
Top Bottom