Proud Papa of baby Chicks!

love.gif
too cute!

Cute.
smile.png
I feel left out have only 5 girls though. I guess that's the price to pay when you live in a city. (I'm not allowed chickens, shhhhh!)
hide.gif

I have to say though, your barred rocks are lookin' like roos. The pullets will have a much smaller and lighter spot on the head, often yellow in color. (BR hens feather out much darker than roos) BR roosters have large white spots on their heads as chicks, and will have more brighter white barring then hens.

Just a little update. These pics are actually from 3 days ago and they've already changed since then. I'll get some more up tomorrow of them all.
smile.png

And I finally got a temporary brooder set up for them to have more room. I'll be buying the materials for the coop come the weekend and will document my building process for everyone and hopefully get it put in the coops section. I'm still reading on the do's and dont's so I don't have to go and change anything after I'm done. I seriously don't have time to commit to changes. The chicks get about an hour or more of my time a day spread out over the course of the day so they get used to me but I wish I could spend more time with them. It's like personal therapy for me, ya know? I loved having fish for the same reason. Helps to calm your soul down from a hectic day. Anyway, here's the chicks!

This is Miss Mabel. My wife named her because you guessed it, she "runs the stable"! She has to be a little older than the rest because she is so much more developed with more feathers coming in and a little bit bigger. I'm guessing she is older by at least 4-5 days or more. She will jump into my hand when I go in to spend time with them so she has become my favorite at this point. They are all my favorite but this one is a little extra special, if you know what I mean.

Then there is Miss Lilly with the lighter colored beak named by my 5 y/o son. Her sister is Miss Lulu, also named by my son. The little RIR's are too cute for their own good. Even though they all look scruffy now that they are getting their feathers in, they are still fun to watch and look at. I like seeing all the new feathers and watching where the next ones will come in.

We don't have any names for the BR's for no apparent reason other than we just can't come up with any at the moment. Another reason is I don't want to get attached to them if one ends up being a Roo like some of you have suggested. I'm still new to all this so seeing the differences in them isn't something I'm used to picking out. Regardless, I love them all no matter what sex they are or if I don't have a name for them yet.
smile.png

5 of them all huddled in the corner.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what variety the Ameraucana's are? I've been trying to find out but I'm wondering if they aren't a mix. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Quote:
He he....you wouldn't get any flack from me or anyone else on this site I'm sure because you want to have chickens and you live in the city. I just don't see what the big deal is about chickens. They are some of the sweetest animals and they do just fine being "cooped" up unlike some other animals. I could have pressed charges on my neighbors behind me for their dogs getting in my yard and doing damage, and the fact that they let them out at night which then leads to the dogs whining and barking at the back door to be let in, but I let it go because they are just that, animals. They don't act like humans do and I'm all for people having pets, but getting in my yard and doing damage isn't something I should have to put up with. On the other hand, my chickens don't do any damage, they are quiet and should be pretty darn quiet when they get to full size (this of course without the roo's), and they are going to give me something in return! Sounds like a win-win situation! And if they are considered barnyard animals, well then they should be classified as a multi-classed animal. They can be a pet and they offer you eggs and can be eaten. It's just a no-brainer situation and cities need to see it that way. If someone isn't taking care of their coop, and the smell is bad, it's no different than a dog coming in your yard and pooping and tearing up stuff. Both situations need to be addressed! Just my 2 cents. Chickens should be allowed and the problem people (one's that don't take care of them) should be dealt with on an individual basis.
I have to say though, your barred rocks are lookin' like roos. The pullets will have a much smaller and lighter spot on the head, often yellow in color. (BR hens feather out much darker than roos) BR roosters have large white spots on their heads as chicks, and will have more brighter white barring then hens.

Well, if this is the case, I've got names for them already. Lunch and Dinner!​

What cute little boogers you have!!! And they sound like they are as spoiled as can be! It's so easy to do when they are that cute, isn't it?! As for the type of Ameraucana's that you have, I have been reading on this forum that most of the chicks from hatcheries are actually Easter Eggers. They are advertised as Ameraucana/Araucana chicks because they usually lay colored eggs. However usually they are a cross using a colored egg layer. Someone else please correct me if I am wrong, I'm fairly new to chickens myself! Either way, they are beautiful!! Good luck with them and welcome to BYC!

Unless you bought your Ameraucanas from a breeder, you have Easter Eggers. There's nothing wrong with that. My Easter Eggers are the sweetest, most personable birds, and most of them lay colored eggs. Hatcheries label their EE's as Araucana/Ameraucana, though I don't know why, as what they have are all mixes. You will just have to see, over time, what coloration your birds have, and what color eggs they lay. It's thrilling to get that first egg, and even more so, when it's a green or blue egg.
As far as building your coop, have a look at Craig's list for building materials, or a playhouse that can be converted. You may be able to save yourself time and money. Remember, too, that the 4 square feet inside space, and 10 square feet outside space per bird is the minimum. More is better. Less chance of picking, etc.

Ah ken if that is alright to call you that ( my father is named Ken), there's nothing wrong with any breed of chicken. The only trouble i had with chickens is show type (like Japanese fantails). I mean, all other type of hens will lay disappropiate amount of eggs, but otherwise what breed you fall in love with is the breed to stick to the most 9take my name for example). But you chicks are really too cute. the bedding, like so many other fine posters have stated, are most appropiate with red cedar chips (to keep away lice and ticks) or regular hampster bedding. Raising baby chicks is the easy part (unless they're not Marek's vaccinated, but I believe they are cause of the feed store you mentioned) it's the latter part of raising them, with CRD or other diseases or viruses out there. But unless you introduce another member of tghe flock (adding new hens and whatnot) from an unknown hatchery, then you might encounter the risk of chicken diseases or viruses. But of course this is for later when you want to expand your flock. In the mean time, enjoy your chick's cuteness. It's certainly worthwhile. and congratulations. Raising chickens is certainly worthwhile a rewarding experience.

I would avoid red cedar bedding. The fumes sometimes irritate the lungs of chicks and make them more prone to respiratory problems. Pine is fine. You can usually buy bales of the stuff cheap at lumber yards. Here in KS I get it at Sutherlands for about $5 a 4 cu ft bale.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom