Pseudo Brooder Heater 'Plate'

Pics
I tested my temps with the pad on 6(highest setting):
85 on the press and seal plastic on the wood on top.
81 on the floor underneath(2-3" below pad bottom).
107 on the pad itself underneath.

Used a laser thermometer have no idea how accurate it is.

I guess I'm just one of those folks who like this method just because of it's total simplicity. I didn't keep track of the temps in the cave under Mama Heating Pad, except for that one time azygous asked what the temp was and I got curious. I just started it out on the number 6 setting and the chicks did the rest of the communicating. They were happy all dayand quiet at night, so I figured I'd hit the Goldilocks moment - everything was just right. Now it's on 3, they are outside in a run that is just now seeing the mid to upper thirties at night, and they are just fine. When I overthink things is when I mess myself up really bad.
lau.gif

That's what I did too, Blooie. I had already tested the temps of the heating pad due to using it to hatch eggs, so I knew what it was capable of on the highest setting on a flat surface. That was good enough for me. One has to also factor in that the heating pad is actually touching their backs and their own body heat is added into it and you have a pretty warm spot. If they didn't seem to want to stay under it but only on top, I turned it down a little so that they could stay under it comfortably. I finished up on #3 and the height raised accordingly and both ends open for entrance and egress when they were integrated in the coop but it was still pretty chilly out.

I'd say just watch the chicks, as per usual when using a heater to keep them warm. If they are avoiding it, it's too hot, if they rarely come out from underneath it, they are too cold.

Under mine the temp was 82.9, and my day old chicks thrived. They are now 3 & 4 weeks old, have been living outside in a pen inside the main run, and have been since the older chicks were 1 week and the younger ones were day olds. Oh, and our daytime temps sometimes made it to the mid-40s and st night it was in the 20s. i now have the heating pad turned down to 3 and many of them aren't even using it anymore.
Good to know they did fine on 83. On high setting we got 93, so we'll see what they prefer. I really dont want to use the heat lamp and thinking I may not have to with this thing.

Well, finally got to try out the newest iteration of the pseudo heater plate, as my hatch started yesterday...... 2 days early.
I kept them under a light for about half the day so I could see that they were eatingdrinkingpooping ok, then tried to get them to use the heater by turning off the heat lamp and holding them under there a few times.

They weren't buying it, tho they didn't seem especially cold either.

Had heard a good tip about someone using one the those battery operated tealights to draw them under,
thought I had some but couldn't find them...think I gave them away(darn!)
Found another battery light and stuck it underneath the pad to shine on the sand under the heater, not sure if that's what convinced them but I went down later and they were under there having a snooze.

My video skills are not sublime, just go thsi video capable camera a few weeks ago, but here it is:
0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom