Puffed out

bgill1215

Chirping
Mar 23, 2020
I have a hen who is about 4 years old. She's a white leghorn/speckled Sussex. She isn't perching in the barn tonight and is puffed out. I haven't noticed if she's been eating or drinking. Any ideas? Think she's egg bond? Cocci? What should I do?

20200512_214628.jpg
20200512_214619.jpg

Yes she lays like crazy
Only took 2 days off last month. She didn't say today though. I'll check her crop in morning.. I've never checked cross before. How do you check?

Yes she lays like crazy
Only took 2 days off last month. She didn't say today though. I'll check her crop in morning.. I've never checked cross before. How do you check?
How is she today?
If she's still puffed out like that, feel inside the vent for an egg.
If I have a good egg layer that suddenly doesn't roost, I check them over really well. She may have an egg stuck or possibly a soft shelled egg she's trying to expel.

For crop check - it's easiest if you start at night - feel to the right of her breast, you should feel a lump/bulge (crop filled with food). In the morning, feel the same place - that should be flat/empty. If the crop is still full, feels doughy, etc. then there's a crop issue. It can take time to resolve, but we'll try to help you through that.

1589381066257.png

How is she today?
If she's still puffed out like that, feel inside the vent for an egg.
If I have a good egg layer that suddenly doesn't roost, I check them over really well. She may have an egg stuck or possibly a soft shelled egg she's trying to expel.

For crop check - it's easiest if you start at night - feel to the right of her breast, you should feel a lump/bulge (crop filled with food). In the morning, feel the same place - that should be flat/empty. If the crop is still full, feels doughy, etc. then there's a crop issue. It can take time to resolve, but we'll try to help you through that.

View attachment 2137788

I felt for egg and didn't feel anything but not sure how far to go. Didn't want to hurt her. I was up to my knuckle. She was messy in the back with stinky poo. Just stuck to her feathers. But vent is clear. But she's perching tonight when the other hens so that's a good sign. We are treating with corrid in water just in case. Figured it wouldn't hurt for the whole flock to be treated anyway. Crop was full tonight. But we feed grain in the evenings when we lock everyone up so will her crop so be fine tomorrow, too?

I felt for egg and didn't feel anything but not sure how far to go. Didn't want to hurt her. I was up to my knuckle. She was messy in the back with stinky poo. Just stuck to her feathers. But vent is clear. But she's perching tonight when the other hens so that's a good sign. We are treating with corrid in water just in case. Figured it wouldn't hurt for the whole flock to be treated anyway. Crop was full tonight. But we feed grain in the evenings when we lock everyone up so will her crop so be fine tomorrow, too?
If you take away the food and water tonight, her crop should be empty in the morning. Then, give them food and water back again first thing.

Good that you didn't feel an egg and she's roosting tonight.
Feel the crop again in the morning, see if it's empty.

Back
Top Bottom