puffed up chicken, should I worry?

CassandraMarie

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 8, 2014
Washington
Hello! I have a year old Barred Rock (Clementine) that I'm a bit concerned about. She hasn't seemed herself lately, but doesn't seem 'sick' either. She's eating and drinking, poop is normal, but she will not venture far from her run to free range like she used to. She also seems puffed out. She layed a nice normal looking egg yesterday, and today she layed a monster egg, with a bit misshapen shell that had two yolks. I've gotten double yolkers before from my older hen, but this was the largest egg I've ever seen!

She seems a little more active today then yesterday, and while she's still puffed out, it's not as much as yesterday. All the other chickens seem in perfect health and are very active and happy. Should I worry about this? I will try to attach three photos, the first of her sitting all puffed up, the second is all the eggs I have with a young hens tiny egg on the right and my Barred Rock (Clementine's) monster egg on the left. The third is a close up of the monster egg. I appreciate any and all help/advice!!

Wow... that is a monster egg. Hopefully she'll perk up now that it's out. Keep an eye on her... see if she's getting more lethargic, staying puffed up, has droopy wings or tail, stops eating or drinking, has problems laying, etc. Has she ever been broody?

Ok I will keep watching her. She's never been broody before, she's a very reliable layer and usually very active and friendly. The rooster with her is relatively new, and she does seem rather smitten with him. They are always together, and she's never acted like that before. Could that make her go broody?

Back
Top Bottom