Pullet can’t walk for over two months yet healthy and not in pain (according to the vet)

JayQ

Chirping
Aug 5, 2023
North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
This is Polly my sweet beloved pullet, she’s 3 months old now, she’s the sweetest and I love her so much. I tried everything, supplements, sling chair, personalized splint from amazon and etsy etcetera. she’s taking Novox for now and the Vet says she’s not suffering, though her legs are not gonna get better anymore and she didn’t recommend surgery either.

this was her yesterday at her second visit to the vet. It hurts so much knowing that she will never be able to walk again yet I’m still hoping desperately she’ll recover. What would you guys do in this situation? I’m not selfish I know that, though I’ve question myself many times but I am giving my Polly a chance for longer great quality of life. I just don’t want to wait until she’s in real pain, she’s still very alert and have good appetite, she enjoys when I take her outside once a day to see her buddies in the coop, enjoys rub and hug from her momma..

I pray constantly that she recovers and if she won’t that she is not suffering and prayers for strength for when I have to let her go before she suffers.

Much love

Attachments

• IMG_7606.jpeg
    IMG_7606.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
How did her legs look when she first was having problems? Did she have a slipped tendon, splay legs, or develop a deformity as she grew? Did you take any pictures? Can you take more of her now? What I see it looks like her right leg is turned around. I have looked back for any threads about her without finding any. Unfortunately, most leg issues are seldom treated successfully, and some worsen as they grow. Many leg issues are related to problems with incubation. A chicken sling chair or wheelchair may be the best you can do for her, and there are some people that care for handicapped chickens as long as they can eat and drink.

How did her legs look when she first was having problems? Did she have a slipped tendon, splay legs, or develop a deformity as she grew? Did you take any pictures? Can you take more of her now? What I see it looks like her right leg is turned around. I have looked back for any threads about her without finding any. Unfortunately, most leg issues are seldom treated successfully, and some worsen as they grow. Many leg issues are related to problems with incubation. A chicken sling chair or wheelchair may be the best you can do for her, and there are some people that care for handicapped chickens as long as they can eat and drink.
Hi! thank you so much for your response. I will get more pictures of her later to share. do you think she will still have eggs even in her condition? I certainly don’t wish for her to have eggs at this state, but the Vet said she will be hormone driven and will still produce eggs and her calcium levels will drop significantly when that comes. Is that true to personal experience?

Back
Top Bottom