Pullet earlobe & chin swelling

tamour

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2015
Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Hey guys, hope everyone is doing good.
Guys I have noticed this kinda partial swelling on the face of my 4 mo Gold Prtridge Brahma pullet, her earlobe, part of eyelid and under chin are swollen. She is eating and drinking well but has been bit lazy since yesterday. Also I haven't seen her either gasping for air or sneezing. Everyone else in the flock is fine. Pics are below, pl help me for the diagnosis, thanks.
20180127_135446.jpg
20180127_135417.jpg

She very likely has been expose to a chronic respiratory virus. If she's been in contact with your other chickens, they have now been exposed, but separate her anyway.

What you see are secondary symptoms from bacteria. You can treat those with Tylan while the virus can't be treated. It has come to live in your chicken and will be there from now on and may flare up again under stressful conditions.

Baytril is another antibiotic you can treat her with. Ask at your feed store. They sell antibiotics. If penicillin is the only one they have, that should work, too.

I do see a few little scabs on the face - have there been any ants, bees or stinging/biting insects that could have bitten her?
Look carefully in both ears and gently in the swelling tissue for any ticks that may have caused the swelling. Any swelling inside the throat or beak?

I do agree with @azygous the swelling could very well be from respiratory illness. Does she have any other symptoms like coughing, sneezing?
Antibiotics may help. I'm not sure what you have available in Pakistan, Tylan50 is good for respiratory illness, if you can't find that you may find Tetracycline.

Guys thanks for help. Honestly I am a bit scared now. I have a small Brahma flock and i hope this thing isn't contagious. @Wyorp Rock I haven't noticed any sneezing or coughing.

@azygous I have contacted nearest vet, they say that Tylan isn't available, needs shipment and could take upto 2 days.
But they have do have penicillin & tetracycline, oral. Should I give her that, and what u guys suggest for rest of the flock.

Tetracycline is good. If it's liquid, you may put drops directly into the eyes, and it will go right to the target where it's needed most.

Any other broad spectrum antibiotic will work fine.

I recommend you go ahead a obtain a supply of antibiotics to keep on hand as you can expect these symptoms to crop up again from time to time now that your flock has been exposed to a CRD virus. They are now carriers and stress may activate bacterial secondary infections. Don't panic. It might be months or even years before symptoms appear again.

Guys it s been more than a week but her condition hasn't improved. I took her to the Vet the other day & he suspects it is some kinda scabies, although I disagree and i think she has contracted mareks. She has this small bubbles almost all over her body and vent and has scaly feet. Vet has administered some antialergics. I am posting some pics, pl help for the diagnosis if it is scabies or mareks or something else, thanks. (Sorry 20180205_102411.jpg if any of u finds the images gross...)
20180205_102534.jpg
20180205_102454.jpg
20180205_102352.jpg

What makes you think it Mareks?
Continue with the med the Vet gave, check if it's ok to also give antibiotics. It maybe scabies as it looks like bites ... Did the Vet do a scraping? Have you checked her for mites/lice? Maybe she is allergic to something, any changes in her diet? Surroundings?

I havent seen her preening or scratching her feathers. I didnt see any lice or mites in her feather. Also i havent changed their pen, neither did I introduce any new birds in the flock. And they get plenty of sunshine during the day. U know the Vet said exactly the same thing, she being allergic to something

Guys it s been more than a week but her condition hasn't improved. I took her to the Vet the other day & he suspects it is some kinda scabies, although I disagree and i think she has contracted mareks. She has this small bubbles almost all over her body and vent and has scaly feet. Vet has administered some antialergics. I am posting some pics, pl help for the diagnosis if it is scabies or mareks or something else, thanks. (Sorry View attachment 1256104 if any of u finds the images gross...)
View attachment 1256100
View attachment 1256101
View attachment 1256102
What type of medication did the vet prescribe?

The scaly feet could be Scaly Leg Mite, but it's hard to tell with feathered legs. I suppose it won't hurt to treat her scabies - what was your vet thinking of using? Ivermectin?

I do tend to agree with you more over the Marek's. I'm not one to jump on that bandwagon so easily, but the skin lesions are compelling. I don't think I've ever seen that much swelling around the face associated with it though. But there is scabbing on the face - is she scratching at all?

Back
Top Bottom