Pullet Has Large Wound On Her Head

Broken_echo13

Chirping
Apr 5, 2023
My 10 week old pullet was attacked by one of my adult Rooster today and has a wound on her head that basically looks like the skin was torn off. She did have what looked like a small puncture wound on her head the other day. She is alert and isn't acting unusual and I did separate her from the flock.

How would i treat this and how likely is she to recover? Im willing to cull her if the outcome isn't good.

Attachments

• 20240228_205925.jpg
    20240228_205925.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240228_205909.jpg
    20240228_205909.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240228_205905.jpg
    20240228_205905.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240228_205918.jpg
    20240228_205918.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240228_205911.jpg
    20240228_205911.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 7
It looks worse than it is, clean it with saline or warm water, do not use peroxide if there's bone showing, slather it or spray it with neosporin or something like it and monitor for infection, she should be fine.
2x this.

I would like to add, separate her by herself. If there's more pullets her age in with the rooster, separate them from the rooster before he attacks them as well.

Good suggestions for wound care, I don't have anything to add for that. Barring infection, she should heal up o.k.

Question - she was attacked by an adult rooster. How old is this rooster?
How many adult (age?) hens do you have and how much space (sq ft) of coop/run do you have?
You have more than one rooster? How many and the ages?

How many pullets do you have? I too would consider moving the pullets for their protection for the time being, but I'd also consider permanently removing a fully mature adult rooster that attacks pullets. Adult roosters *should* be protecting pullets, not attacking them.

Question - she was attacked by an adult rooster. How old is this rooster?
How many adult (age?) hens do you have and how much space (sq ft) of coop/run do you have?
You have more than one rooster? How many and the ages?

How many pullets do you have? I too would consider moving the pullets for their protection for the time being, but I'd also consider permanently removing a fully mature adult rooster that attacks pullets. Adult roosters *should* be protecting pullets, not attacking them.
She was attacked by my 10 month old Buckeye Rooster, who i did isolate right afterwards.
I have 6 ten month old hens in a 12×8 coop with a roughly 70ft x 70ft fenced in pasture.
I do have another 10 month old Rooser but he is significantly more friendlier and calmer than my other Rooster.

Including the injured one i have 4 pullets with 2 cockerels. When i did put up the Buckeye Rooster they immediately came out of hiding so he seems to be the one causing issues. Im definitely considering rehoming or culling him.

She was attacked by my 10 month old Buckeye Rooster, who i did isolate right afterwards.
I have 6 ten month old hens in a 12×8 coop with a roughly 70ft x 70ft fenced in pasture.
I do have another 10 month old Rooser but he is significantly more friendlier and calmer than my other Rooster.

Including the injured one i have 4 pullets with 2 cockerels. When i did put up the Buckeye Rooster they immediately came out of hiding so he seems to be the one causing issues. Im definitely considering rehoming or culling him.
Good idea moving him and see how it goes.

You may find that the other 2 cockerels as they get a bit older will cause some drama within the mix too. While you do have quite a bit of space, some just will not get along no matter what, so just monitor things. I move cockerels/roosters (separate housing or cull/process) instead of hens, usually this will make things more peaceful within the flock.

Back
Top Bottom