Pullet not laying

closetfan

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 20, 2015
I have an eight month old welsummer who's still not laying.

But I'm not 100% sure shes not laying. I thought I had a small egg from her months ago. But no more. Also she goes through these periods of being lethargic, then I find the remnants of an egg shortly after and she's back to normal. But any of the other 8 could lay a shelless egg. That has happened 3 times.

There's plenty of calcium provided, both oyster and eggshells.

So what's anyone's thoughts?

I have an eight month old welsummer who's still not laying.

But I'm not 100% sure shes not laying. I thought I had a small egg from her months ago. But no more. Also she goes through these periods of being lethargic, then I find the remnants of an egg shortly after and she's back to normal. But any of the other 8 could lay a shelless egg. That has happened 3 times.

There's plenty of calcium provided, both oyster and eggshells.

So what's anyone's thoughts?
Try getting a higher protein food i had this with my chicken because i had a 16 percent protein food

I stopped feeding layer when I read about protein needed for reproducing ... Have since fed Flock Raiser (20%) with Oyster Shells in a separate dish. Haven't regretted the change. Also no more feed for different stages in life, no more concern/worries about chicks/Roos eating too much layer (calcium levels too high for their system).

But I'm not 100% sure shes not laying. I thought I had a small egg from her months ago. But no more. Also she goes through these periods of being lethargic, then I find the remnants of an egg shortly after and she's back to normal.
Here some tips for telling...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

I've seen the lethargy, moving slowly and/or standing stock still staring out into the distance, just before a softshell egg emerges..then back to norma activity. I must feel weird.

She may just be a 'lemon'(slang for a defective product).

Back
Top Bottom