Pullet or roo

dan15523

Hatching
Mar 28, 2016
I am a first time chicken owner and I need help telling the sex of these two chicks I have been raising for a about a month. One is 8 weeks old the other is 5 going off of when they were said to have hatched. The feed store selling the first one guarantees all females and the second one only said 95% certainly. Thank you

@KCAmother17

Of those last 4 photos, the bird on the far left in the nest box in the first one looks to be a cockerel because it has an obvious red comb but it's much easier to identify them from an individual profile shot of each bird in good natural light. The barred bird in the second and fourth photo is also a cockerel. The lighter barring, developed pink comb and huge thick shanks all scream male to me. The third photo isn't clear enough to make a judgement.

Looks like you got your wish then if you are wanting him to be male.

Last edited:
I'm sort of wondering if we both have light brahmas! As far as I know, Columbian Rocks should have white wings but this is my first time with chicks so I don't know if they lose any of their first feathers? I guess it's all a waiting game with these babies!

welcome-byc.gif

sorry, but I think they're both males. You'll probably have to wait a bit on the second one before trying to get a refund though, until male characteristics become more apparent.

Back
Top Bottom