Pullet or Roo?

am040608

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2015
FINLEY WA

I'm pretty certain the rest of them are hens. they were all supposed to be, but this guy likes to run around with his head up high and peck at the other ones and I'm thinking this must be a boy. I can't really tell but his comb looks a lot bigger than the rest of the girls.

I ourchased half of my chicks at a feed store. The other half from a lady who runs a hatchery. She had ordered 500 chicks. Several breeds. I have a few of each. Dominique was not one of the breeds. The only breed that matches his coloring that she had is the barred rock. Most of the girls have the flat strawbwrry comb and 2 have a single row spikey comb (idk what thats called). This is the only one with a larger comb that looks like this. Thats why i became suspect as to its gender.

I ourchased half of my chicks at a feed store. The other half from a lady who runs a hatchery. She had ordered 500 chicks. Several breeds. I have a few of each. Dominique was not one of the breeds. The only breed that matches his coloring that she had is the barred rock. Most of the girls have the flat strawbwrry comb and 2 have a single row spikey comb (idk what thats called). This is the only one with a larger comb that looks like this. Thats why i became suspect as to its gender.
The two that have the spiky combs most likely have single combs, which is the comb that the breed should have. Could you possibly take other pics of the girls? Barred Rocks always have single combs like so.
barred-rock.jpg

Feed stores aren't very accurate on breeds, and Barred Rocks and Dominiques are identical as chicks.

I'm pretty certain the rest of them are hens. they were all supposed to be, but this guy likes to run around with his head up high and peck at the other ones and I'm thinking this must be a boy. I can't really tell but his comb looks a lot bigger than the rest of the girls.
It's a Dominique and it's a boy.

Back
Top Bottom