Pullet picking out her own tail feathers

Jessdesk

Chirping
Jun 3, 2017
I have 4 pullets, around 14 weeks old. I purchased them from another breeder a month ago.

They had lost their tail feathers and the breeder attributed it to stress. I have them isolated in a large pen. The other day I noticed 1 had a bleeding tail and all the little feathers that were growing were gone. I checked them all and only the girl with the bleeding tail feathers had blood on her beak, no one else. So I put some Peck-No-More on her tail.

Today I noticed her tail bleeding again, and her beak had blood on it.

I checked them for mites and lice, I put DE on them last week.

Im not sure why she keeps pulling her trail feathers out

Are you sure she is pecking them out? Other chickens may be picking her beak and making it bleed. I would sit near them for about an hour and just watch them quietly. Then you can find out the culprit. Good luck!

Ok, so I watched them for about an hour. I didn’t see her pull her feathers (she is a golden Wyandotte), but I did see the smaller silver Wyandotte pecking on tails. Though hers is the only tail with blood.

So, in either case, what can I do? I tried the pecknomore without success.

Do I need to wrap the tail with like a cut toilet paper roll so they are protected without being smooshed, or something along those lines?

Lol, I just had visions of a little cone collar around her butt, and it made me laugh :gig

Last edited:
You can make her a long hen saddle to cover that area.
http://homesteadbloggersnetwork.com/how-to-make-a-simple-no-sew-hen-saddle/

I would do a few additional things.

Keep applying pick no more or blu-kote to the bird.
Up the protein of all the birds. Put them on chick starter and keep oyster shell available in a separate dish.
Give no treats. That is important since most treats actually drop the overall protein in their diets.

Many many times the picking is started by lack of adequate protein and continues because they are drawn to pecking things that are red. It gets really bad if it becomes a habit.

DE actually does nothing to cure a mite or lice infestation. You would nest something with permethrin in it.

Your bleeding girl may have had blood on her beak from trying to preen.

Ok, they are already on starter crumble... how should I add the protein?

They don’t get treats... I checked them for exterior parasites today and found none :)

Last edited:
Good that they are on starter feed. Not so good that there is picking even with the higher protein.

Many times the cause is environmental. In this case they came to you with an existing issue. I don't think you caused the issue but need to change the behavior.

You have them in a large pen.... How large? What else is in the pen?

Give them things to distract them from the tail. Things to hop up on and hide behind. Things to get their attention away from the naked bottom. A bale of hay or alfalfa is good.

If distraction doesn't work you may need to crate her in the same space the others use to keep her as part of the flock but with time to heal. If your pen is large enough you may be able to fence a corner off for her so she can get around well too.

Laying hens are smarter then they get credit for. Boredom is trouble with them.

I do hope she heals up fast.

I didn’t see her pull her feathers....but I did see the smaller silver Wyandotte pecking on tails
...I noticed 1 had a bleeding tail and all the little feathers that were growing were gone
Do you have any photos of your girls?
How much space do you have?
Sounds like you have a feather picker, the SLW. This can become a very bad habit and needs to be corrected if possible.

You mention they are on chick starter - is that at least 18% protein? Provide them with some poultry vitamins in their water a couple of days a week. They may benefit from having something to do - a hanging apple or cabbage to pick at, rake up some leaves or pine needles - add those to the run for them to dig through, etc.

If the plucking continues your SLW may need a time out or you may have to put on some pinless peeper to see if that helps. Feather picking can be due to not enough space, boredom and sometimes lack of protein/nutritional deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom