pullet... right?

HannahR318

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Just confirming as out of our six pullets this one has a larger comb and seems more aggressive. 8 weeks old
20230607_090742.jpg

Just confirming as out of our six pullets this one has a larger comb and seems more aggressive. 8 weeks old View attachment 3532404
Pullet. By 8 weeks you would see way more going on. For comparison, here is my almost 7 weeks cockerel, I believe possibly same breed.
20230607_103924.jpg

But feel free to get some better pics, if you are concerned. Based on what you shared, yes, I do think it's probably just normal variation in comb size amongst the pullets.

Starlight Green Egger.
Ah ha.

No, the Starlight Green Egger can vary greatly. It is a Praire Bluebell crossed with any brown layer, and is also not sex linked. So it can have all sorts of different varieties.

When I looked at yours Chipmunk, I assumed that was a RSL cockerel.

If this is in fact a Starlight green egger, or anything other than a red sex link, It appears to be a cockerel.

How do the wattles look on your 8 wk pullet in the back of the picture? The wattles on the one in the front are concerning, and the comb looks a little pink for 8 wks but it could be the lighting.

What is the breed of these birds? Starlight green egger? Red sex-link?

They look like SGEs to me, but SGEs can look very similar to sex-links when they are red/white feathered. (There are other colors of SGE though)

Better pics in natural light with an in-focus comb would help, but for now I'm gonna say cockerel. It could go either way though. Those large wattles have me concerned.

The hen in the back is a pullet for sure due to her comb growth at 6 wks. I'm gonna guess her wattles are smaller than the bird in the front, also...

How do the wattles look on your 8 wk pullet in the back of the picture? The wattles on the one in the front are concerning, and the comb looks a little pink for 8 wks but it could be the lighting.

What is the breed of these birds? Starlight green egger? Red sex-link?

They look like SGEs to me, but SGEs can look very similar to sex-links when they are red/white feathered. (There are other colors of SGE though)

Better pics in natural light with an in-focus comb would help, but for now I'm gonna say cockerel. It could go either way though. Those large wattles have me concerned.

The hen in the back is a pullet for sure due to her comb growth at 6 wks. I'm gonna guess her wattles are smaller than the bird in the front, also...
I agree about the lighting etc. I think standing on the wire is affecting the bird's posture, too.

But I believe OP said 8 weeks, so that's why I said pullet. 6 weeks maybe more questionable, but I feel like you would see much more development by 8 weeks. That's why I posted my 7 week cockerel to compare. But I only know my own birds really. 🤷

Back
Top Bottom