pullet squatting for at least three weeks but no egg? Should I be worried?

One of mine hide her nest in my fire pit, the rooster approved it (even took hens to it and called them inside it) but she is the only one that uses it.

I had this problem with my Easter Eggers - squatting, but no eggs. I was worried. Then I found a hidden nest under the shed in the backyard with about ten blue/mint eggs in it.
Well I've had them shut in their large pen and there is no place to hide a nest in there.. I did catch her checking out the nesting boxes a day or two ago...but still nada.

UPDATE: She laid her first egg this afternoon!!! So that was 24 weeks and one day (and at last a month of squatting). yippee!

Only problem was head hen was trying to peck her in the nest box while she was trying to lay it-her comb is pecked pretty bad so I put neosporin on it.

Luckily I noticed what was going on and I hung around in the coop and kept head hen from going back in and pecking her again...why do hens do that? I thought basically they laid an egg and then forgot all about the nest box...

I have two blue Americanas 28 weeks old still not laying or squatting. My red stars squated and laid an egg the next day at 20 weeks old. My Barnevelder squated for a week and a half and laid at 26 weeks, her sister took another 2 weeks to start. They all have there own time clocks.

I am learning so much from all of your posts. Two weeks ago, I heard the lovely egg song from my then 22 week old BA. Started checking the nest and "nada". No more egg song either. Yesterday, my husband went to pet her and down she went into a squat. I got so excited and he didn't know why
smile.png
. Then the egg song returned today for almost half an hour. Still, "nada". I'm sure there is something to show up sooner than later. Hearing everyone's stories helps to keep me sane (?) while waiting.

I am learning so much from all of your posts. Two weeks ago, I heard the lovely egg song from my then 22 week old BA. Started checking the nest and "nada". No more egg song either. Yesterday, my husband went to pet her and down she went into a squat. I got so excited and he didn't know why
smile.png
. Then the egg song returned today for almost half an hour. Still, "nada". I'm sure there is something to show up sooner than later. Hearing everyone's stories helps to keep me sane (?) while waiting.
the egg song is a good sign, I bet you'll have eggs pretty soon!

This post is old, but it was so reassuring. I am having the same experience with one of my girls. Squatting, nesting box interest, egg song...no egg. She's taking a lot longer than my other girls. What a tease. Lol Hoping for her first egg soon!

Back
Top Bottom