Pullet with an empty crop before bed

Emrosenagel

Songster
Oct 2, 2020
Hello!

This is a first time occurrence with this particular chicken, so I’m not overtly concerned, but I am curious. My pullets (13 weeks, bantams Serama/cochins) occasionally go bed with empty crops. It varies on who it is, but it just seems odd. They act normal and eat/drink. We’re having some extreme heat this week, so maybe that might be the cause? Idk. I have an adult hen that always goes to bed with almost nothing in her crop, but she’s perfectly healthy. Is it normal for them sometimes to go to sleep empty?

Thanks!

I am pretty sure they don't eat the same amount every day. Maybe it is the temperature, maybe the daylight, maybe if I let them out? I haul feed to my birds daily. Sometimes at night, there is a little left (ideal) sometimes there is a lot left???? and sometimes the bowl is bare.

I adjust my amount of feed I am taking down there accordingly, but the thing is, it is really never the same.

I don't think it is real important for birds to have food 24/7. I am not advocating starving your birds, but feed is a big expense, and uncleaned up food is wasted feed. Feed worked into the ground begins to stink. I think if they get a little hungry, they tend to keep the food cleaned up.

I never worry about birds that are bright eyed, active, eating and laying.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom