Pullet with Bubbly/foamy eye!

Peachesbabychick

Songster
8 Years
Sep 17, 2011
Some where over the rainbow
Hi everyone,

This morning I noticed that one of my splash pullets has a bubbly/foamy eye. She is 5 months. It is only in ONE eye. Around the infected eye looks kinda black, with small bubbles in the corner of the eye. I have noticed her lightly sneezing a lot before I noticed this. I don't notice any swelling of her head or eye, just bubbles. Could she have gotten pecked in this eye?

Her other eye is perfectly normal and healthy looking, and she is eating and drinking and acting very normal.

We have recently had a bit of cold weather, (19 degrees F overnight) and she has not been exposed to that cold of weather...

Our feed store is closed today and I don't know what I can do ASAP to get this taken care of. I have a bit of Duramiacyn (don't know how to spell it) that I could give her....

What do I do? Please help, I love my flock so much and I want them to be alright!

MG (M. Gallesepticum)

Quote: American Poultry Association

First, isolate her from the others. Second, Try to clean the eye with a warm damp cloth. Third, Do the duramycin TX according to directions on the package. If you can get some Tylosin it may work better. Keep a close watch on her eating and her poop. She may have a viral infection and the anti-biotics won't touch that but they should keep any secondary bacterial infections under control as she progresses through the infection. If she is eating and drinking well right now then start a poly-vi-sol without IRON regime now and put some ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar, Braggs Organic is best) in her water after the TX.

Jim

Thankyou for the reply. We are heading to town first thing this morning to get Tylosin and Polyvisol from our feed store. "Cloud" is isolated in our barn right now.

So if she recovers she will remain a carrier? Can I still introduce new chicks or will they become infected? Should I give the Tylosin to my entire flock? Should I cull this bird?

All my girls are molting right now, and I did just clean and powder my coop with DE could this be the problem? I have both the windows in my coop wide open.

I would greatly appreciate any more help anyone can offer

Thankyou for the reply. We are heading to town first thing this morning to get Tylosin and Polyvisol from our feed store. "Cloud" is isolated in our barn right now.

So if she recovers she will remain a carrier? Can I still introduce new chicks or will they become infected? Should I give the Tylosin to my entire flock? Should I cull this bird?

All my girls are molting right now, and I did just clean and powder my coop with DE could this be the problem? I have both the windows in my coop wide open.

I would greatly appreciate any more help anyone can offer
I just posted a similar thread on here about my bird that has something wrong with her eye that I just noticed today. I also did the DE last week, and noticed you mentioned that. I wonder if that has something to do with it...like irritation? I hope someone can provide some more insight. I may try to find the stuff the previous poster mentioned. Hope we can both figure out what is wrong, and get our healthy birds back! Good luck!

She did a little, but it seems to have been better this afternoon. She still had it closed part of the time though. I actually got a call back from the vet, and he said to use neosporin ointment on it for the next few days. That since she didn't have any other symptoms and it was only one eye that it was probably more of an injury/irritation. Not sure what I think about that...
hmm.png

She did a little, but it seems to have been better this afternoon. She still had it closed part of the time though. I actually got a call back from the vet, and he said to use neosporin ointment on it for the next few days. That since she didn't have any other symptoms and it was only one eye that it was probably more of an injury/irritation. Not sure what I think about that...
hmm.png

Pretty sound advice from the Vet. When you treat with oral antibiotics you have to be sure and restore the good bacteria in the chicken's gut or you will have further problems and a chicken that is prone to more illness.

Quote: IF and only if she has MG will she remain a carrier past her recovery. Since we are not Vets and cannot be certain beyond a doubt that she has MG, I would think culling a bit premature. But she would bare watching closely and all introductions of new birds should be done by initial quarantine for a minimum of 30 days if at all possible and then close watch for 21 days post introduction. This will not guarantee problem free chickens but it will give you peace of mind and a stronger connection to your flock's over all condition.

Jim

Thankyou Jim for all your advice I really appreciate it.

No more bubbles in her eye, which is good. Just a bit sore. Went to the Vet this afternoon and he gave us Oral antibiotic "Orbax" so hopefully that will help Cloud. We went to every feed store in town and no one had polyvisol or tylosin. Go figure. I put some apple cider vinegar in her water this evening and made her a nice salad after giving her the medicine. She seems to be doing alright, just a bit shaky (like she is shivering) and with a light sneeze here and there. Her poop is good, appetite is good, and she is preening and scratching around. No liquid or discharge from her nose or other eye.

Yes I have a tendency of going to worst case scenario's. I am just trying my best to be optimistic. My other girls are doing fine, and I have my coop windows wide open for fresh air.

Thank you for all the advice and I will keep you updated on Cloud!

Peaches

Is there ANY way to test for this disease? How do we know if they are carriers without culling all of them? I hatch and sell alot of birds and cannot have this disease in my flock:(

Is there ANY way to test for this disease? How do we know if they are carriers without culling all of them? I hatch and sell alot of birds and cannot have this disease in my flock:(
Contact your local extension office or state department of agriculture on how to go about having a bird tested.

Back
Top Bottom