Pullet with legs stuck past her face... Marek's?

Free Feather

Songster
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014
Southwestern Pennsylvania
A day or two ago, I am not exactly sure when, I noticed my four - month - old Gold Laced Sebright pullet was walking with a limp and holding up her right leg. By that evening, she had to use her wings to hold herself up and keep her balance. She could fly to the 3 foot roost but could not balance, so I put her in a raised nesting box to sleep. Her limp has quickly gotten worse to where she cannot stand at all. Both of her legs are rigidly stuck out past her face and she lays folded in half. She feebly drags herself with her wings. In doing so, she flips over on her back, then cannot right herself. I have to take her to the food and water and carry her everywhere she needs to go. I removed all cockerels away from her because they try to mate her because she cannot get away. Is it possible they could have done this to her? One was a D'uccle and the other an Icelandic, both nearly four months old. Is Marek's a possibility? She does not seem to fit Erysipelas, Encephalitis, Botulism, deficiency, or other conditions with related symptoms that I have heard of. Do you think putting her in a sling is a good idea?

It does sound like it could possibly be Mareks unfortunately. I would go to the top of this page and do a search for "Great Big Mareks Faq" a detailed article about Mareks and diseases that look like it. The poultry multiple vitamins would also be a good idea, along with keeping her confined to a small area near her food and water.

It does sound like it could possibly be Mareks unfortunately. I would go to the top of this page and do a search for "Great Big Mareks Faq" a detailed article about Mareks and diseases that look like it. The poultry multiple vitamins would also be a good idea, along with keeping her confined to a small area near her food and water.
That is what I was afraid of. Would putting her in a sling help? I was hesitant to do it because when I put her in one to try, she still kept her legs up instead of putting the down, and she does not put her weight on them. I did not think it would be good to have all her weight on her keel bone.

Back
Top Bottom