Pullet with paralyzed legs

nab58

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
CT
We have a 20 week old americauna pullet who is unable to use her legs. We first found her about 3 weeks ago stuck behind a hitch. We thought she was stuck and had injured her leg. She was limping and flopping over but still able to get around. She was eating, drinking and pooping normal. We thought she was getting better but in the last 5 days or so has lost the ability to walk at all. There is no visible injury or swelling.
We have her isolated in a box to hold her upright. She will occasionally drink and eat. She's having loose poops that she's sitting in because she's immobile.

Is there a disease that presents like this? Is there any treatment you could recommend?

Thank you!

It sounds like Marek's. I don't personally know any treatments since I've never had to deal with it, but a more experienced member should come along soon and give you an idea of what to use.

We have a 20 week old americauna pullet who is unable to use her legs. We first found her about 3 weeks ago stuck behind a hitch. We thought she was stuck and had injured her leg. She was limping and flopping over but still able to get around. She was eating, drinking and pooping normal. We thought she was getting better but in the last 5 days or so has lost the ability to walk at all. There is no visible injury or swelling.
We have her isolated in a box to hold her upright. She will occasionally drink and eat. She's having loose poops that she's sitting in because she's immobile.

Is there a disease that presents like this? Is there any treatment you could recommend?

Thank you!
I am so sorry to hear about your pullet!
Although sometimes contact with environmental and or food toxins (botulism, certain molds, etc.) can cause similar symptoms, sadly, this sounds more like Marek's disease. Here is a very good article to read, and there is a lot of information on this site, as well as other medical sites online. (There's also a lot of misinformation, so please don't despair!)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Here's a good thread that I have been following - the folks on there (myself included) have a definite "myth busting" mindset. Most have the diagnosed (only a necropsy can do this) disease in their flocks. It's so much more prevalent than folks know.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/i-wish-i-knew-do-you-know.1203575/

The thread began as a discussion about testing for the disease, but gradually became quite a lot of good information (oh, and some hot tempers too...but sometimes dealing with disease does this to folks!) :)

Thank you!
Sorry your girl is having trouble. Sounds very much like Marek's. I had a bird do exactly the same thing... always continued eating and stuff but wasn't capable of drinking so survived on fermented feed and whatever moisture it contained. I was in denial at first that it could happen to me, and treated for vitamin E deficiency. By the end of 3 weeks I was able to see some eye color change to the gray and new I couldn't support a disabled bird, so I culled. :(

Some people make a sling to support the bird off of their legs and some have recovered with time. That may be an option for you.

Personally, if I don't see how they could lay an egg (they stand up to let it drop)... I would end it before that challenge presented. But that is me, I have zero tolerance for weakness or disease to spread through my flock. The next case that presented, was culled within days instead of supportive care allowing it remain in my flock for an extended period.

It was a difficult decision and very much a learning process. Sorry you are faced with it. :hugs

Sorry your girl is having trouble. Sounds very much like Marek's. I had a bird do exactly the same thing... always continued eating and stuff but wasn't capable of drinking so survived on fermented feed and whatever moisture it contained. I was in denial at first that it could happen to me, and treated for vitamin E deficiency. By the end of 3 weeks I was able to see some eye color change to the gray and new I couldn't support a disabled bird, so I culled. :(

Some people make a sling to support the bird off of their legs and some have recovered with time. That may be an option for you.

Personally, if I don't see how they could lay an egg (they stand up to let it drop)... I would end it before that challenge presented. But that is me, I have zero tolerance for weakness or disease to spread through my flock. The next case that presented, was culled within days instead of supportive care allowing it remain in my flock for an extended period.

It was a difficult decision and very much a learning process. Sorry you are faced with it. :hugs
I, too, cull anything sick looking the moment I see it. It does, on the surface, seem heartless. But, when you've dealt with this virus, and you know what an outbreak can do to your flock, sadly, it's better to lose a few than many.

Is it possible not to lose the entire flock?

We have had a couple of others die recently too. Until now we've never had a bird die other than by a fox attack. Of the others that have died recently, one 'sneezed' for several days. I gave her antibiotic injections but she died anyway. The other was healthy one day and dead the next. No apparent injury, just dead. The 3rd that died got lethargic and passed away in about a week. Her seemed to have some neurological symptoms and may have had issued with her sight.
All 4 of these birds are pullets/cockerels. Two were hatched from eggs I bought and the other 2 were bought as chicks from different, healthy flocks.

If you get the chance to read those Marek's articles and threads, you'll find that the disease is not just spread by bringing in chickens to your flock. It's spread by other birds, rodents, flies and even the wind. It is impossible to contain and most flocks have it at some level, but not every flock will have an outbreak. Because it's a herpes virus, it can lie dormant in a chicken's system until some stress factor brings it out. Also, some breeds seem to be more susceptible to it.
I am glad to answer any questions you may have, as there are lots of myths surrounding this disease. It is the number 1 killer of chickens here in California, and is often the underlying cause for other infections and neurological issues.
But, it's not the end of the world either. BYC is filled with folks who have gone to the trouble of having necropsies performed on their birds to receive a definitive diagnosis (many people just chuck out the dead birds and go on). They understand all the nuances of the disease and manage their flocks accordingly.
eta - yes, it's entirely possible to manage a flock with this disease. But, you may also want to consider getting vaccinated birds if you add more. But that is a much debated subject, so you have to go with your own conscience on that choice. :)

Last edited:
I did read most of the article....it was very interesting and informative. Thank you.
We're hoping it's not mareks and perhaps ate something moldy or rancid.
If it is mareks, I'm not quite sure how you manage your flock with it if it's incurable, kills birds and highly contagious.

Back
Top Bottom