pullet with spurs?

maxh122801

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2015
i recently purchased 4 chicks that were 95% sexed. the chicks are two weeks old today, one of the rhode island reds is much larger than the others (we have 2 rir's, 1 silver laced wyandotte, and 1 jersey giant). so the 1 rir is much larger than the other one and has many more feathers. one thing i noticed on the bigger one of the rir's is that it has a little spur growing on the back of its leg. if im not mistaken the hens shouldnt have spurs, so could this chick be a rooster??

Both pullets and cockerels have spur buds. Some hens will even grow spurs, my silkie hen did. THey dont really mean anything.

If you post pictures and post age, we should be able to help better.

Since they are only two weeks old, looking at Spurs would not be accurate, because at this age they are almost undeveloped. They are still a bit young, but one way you can tell pullets from cockerels is by looking at their developing combs; the pullets combs are smaller and more yellow than the cockerels' redder and larger combs.

Last edited:
Since they are only two weeks old, looking at Spurs would not be accurate, because at this age they are almost undeveloped. They are still a bit young, but one way you can tell pullets from cockerels is by looking at their developing combs; the pullets combs are smaller and more yellow than the cockerels' redder and larger combs.
x2

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom