pullets eating eggs

tate

Songster
12 Years
Mar 17, 2007
some where in FL
i have some delaware pullets that starting eating there eggs this started all of a sudden does anyone have any ideas what i can do dont want to debeak they are sq thanks

Collect eggs more frequently.
Hang some dark cloth strips in front of the nest box to make it darker inside.
Make sure that the shavings/straw/hay in the nest box is thick so that eggs dont break accidentally.

Buying or building "roll out" nest boxes is sometimes the only answer other than culling the offender. Just make sure that you have the right bird because any bird will eat an egg that is already broken open. You want the culprit that is actually cracking the eggs.

Our current problem in a blue jay that flies into the coops and punches holes in the eggs to eat some and then leaves the rest of the egg and the hens find it. The blue jay is even pecking eggs in my egg basket if I leave it on the back porch. Today I found an empty shell that was marked with an X so I know it came from the broody bantam duck's nest about 2 feet from where I found the shell. What ever cracked it open, ate the duckling inside, GRRRRRRRR. That is the 4th egg that has been stolen while the ducks are off the nests to eat and bathe. I really hate that blue jay and am thinking up horrible fates for it.

chel

I heard that them fake eggs deter then and they won't have intrest in eating the eggs, i just don't know how you would go about getting them in their before they eat theirs first. hmm Hope it all works out personally i think debeaking wouldn't be a good idea i think if they peck hard enough they could still break em, not to mention i think they have to be young when you debeak them, i really don't know. Hope you get it figured out maybe you could build one of those roller trays like some people have. I've seen a link where someone built one into the hens nest once they lay the egg is rolls down and hits a padded wall and then you just open the small door and get your eggs. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom