Pullets sleeping on floor of coop

It has worked! I only had to go out 2 nights in a row and set birds before they all got it. The 2nd night when I went out, 5 pullets were already on the roost. So I picked up the others and put them up there. The 3rd night, I went out and they were all up there!! I went out at about 10pm, giving them time to really settle in.

I am amazed! I only had to go out one night to place them on the roost and they have gone there every night since then! Happy to have them off the ground and they seem completely content!

Does it matter if they sleep on the floor? I just need to stop them from sleeping in the nesting boxes! But egg time is getting close!! I'm afraid that is I cover the nesting boxes and they are about to start laying..... well then what!!!!

Does it matter if they sleep on the floor? I just need to stop them from sleeping in the nesting boxes! But egg time is getting close!! I'm afraid that is I cover the nesting boxes and they are about to start laying..... well then what!!!!
Personally, I think it's healthier for them to roost. It keeps them off a maybe damp or "buggy" floor. That is what they do in nature - fly up into a tree to keep away from predators. Too, I don't think it's a big deal for them to sleep in the nesting boxes. When they start laying eggs, it'll all come together! :)

Back
Top Bottom