Pullets won't go back in coop at night

I'm having a similar problem with my four girls. They have chosen to go to bed on top of the nest box, on the outside of the coop, even though I made the top of it angled specifically so they wouldn't do this! Every night for 3 weeks now I go out and move them one by one into the coop. Should I put something on top of the nest box lid so they don't want to sleep there?

I'm having the same problem. I have two solar lights rigged up out there, there's plenty of natural light, and nope. No dice. They will pile up right outside their door and go to sleep there. I'm beginning to think that they WANT me to tuck them in for the night.
big_smile.png

when I introduced mine to their new coop last weekend I made them stay in the coop for over 24 hours with food and water
then I let them out in the run now every evening they all march right in at the same time. I have 8 RSL they are 7 weeks old.

I locked all the girls up in the coop for a week so that they knew that this was HOME where food, water, and roosts were. If they insisted on not going to bed...they would get locked up again for a few days till they figured it out. No one stays out after dark here, they all walk up their ramp every night and go to bed at sunset.

I have 3 pullets that do the same thing, they bunch together in a corner of the yard instead of going in the coop with the 4 big hens. I don't know if they are afraid of the big girls or just don't know to go up there. We put them in the coop every night. Did yours finally just figure it out? Would make my life a lot easier, especially when we go out of town!

Try putting a light on inside the coop on a timer. I just saved 12 hens from a friend who had a tragic fire. His hen's won't go into the coop at night unless the light is on at dusk. Otherwise they bed down in the run. Now the spoiled birds won't leave the coop to go into the run due to 4" of snow.

I got my girls to go to the coop without locking them up 24/7. They free range my 1/2 acre yard and always (touch wood) put themselves up at night and are on the roost. All I have to do is lock up. It was July when I got them and temps were 100* here so locking them in the coop during the day would have been a death sentence. I only locked them in the coop at night. Putting a light on didn't get them to go in. They would still bed down under the coop in the run.

Here's what I did:
First, before they knew the coop was where they were supposed to sleep, they were locked in the run 24/7 (which connects to the coop) until they would go to the coop on their own at night consistently. I moved food into the coop and the water was in the run so they'd get comfortable with going in and out and with the ramp. When the sun went down (but it was still light out), I put them into the coop and locked them inside. I made sure to get up early to let them out.
Several days later, they were more comfortable with the coop and I could get them to go in without having to pick them up and put them in. Usually I herded them in but I think I tossed some mealworms in a few times. After a week, maybe two weeks, they were putting themselves to bed consistently. When I added some more birds, the newbies just followed the others.

Their roost is a 2x4 with the wide side up and is high up in the coop (but they can reach it). I try not to mess with them once they are in the coop as it's their "safe place".
FWIW, the nest box is level with the floor of the coop. The coop is about 2 feet off the ground. The roost is about 3-4' off the floor of the coop (probably 5' from ground level). Since my coop is designed more for summer than winter (winters are mild here), they have vent windows next to the roost on either side so they probably feel the full height from ground level once they're on the roost.

I try to time it so if I've got baby birds it's in the springtime in between extreme weathers. They can stay locked in partition in the coop 24/7 while the other girls range around during the day. They stay in that wire partition until they're big enough and fast enough to get away/defend themselves from heirarchy pecking, which there usually isn't that much of since they've been seeing each other for at least 3 weeks. Chicks that hatch naturally learn their behavior from their mothers. I think even if I bought grown chickens, I would do the same thing for them - for at least two weeks. There's not enough room for as many adults as babies, but for a little while it would work. The bottom ramp gets closed up for cleaning inside the partition so there's no danger of escape and the newbies are herded back in when all is clean. Takes a little more work, but worth it not to have to chase them all back inside every night.

Am I doing a disservice by bringing the food and water to the run each day rather than leaving the water and food in the coop. My birds huddle under the coop in the run and have no desire to come in. Pretty frustrating

Back
Top Bottom